Chapter 25: Unfathomable Agony

Adrien Pov

My heart raced in excitement as I went up the stairs to my room. 

I just finished dinner, alone. Not even Nathalie was there to accompany me. For some reason, everyone in the mansion was preoccupied and busy — especially my father. 

He was stuck in his office all day, Nathalie came in to bring him food from time to time. It raised my curiosity, but I didn't have time to play detective. 

I missed my girlfriend too much, I haven't seen her in weeks due to model duties and all, which is why I was so enthusiastic. 

I impatiently threw my bag to the side. Sitting down on my swivel chair, I took the Chinese dictionary, carelessly flipping through the pages. "Kid...there's something I need to tell you," Plagg interrupted. 

"Not now," I continued to skim. "Your teacher is reviewing you tomorrow. Doing it in a hurry is pointless," he sternly told me. I didn't understand Plagg, yesterday he was in such a good mood. 

My kwami was a clown, always making jokes, being a sucker for camembert, and being discreetly head over heels for Tikki. Now suddenly his happiness was nonexistent, and Plagg's face said it all.  

I wonder what bothered him so much.

"Okay, done. Plagg, cla—" the black creature interrupted me. "Listen, maybe you shouldn't go to her," Plagg stated in an emotionless tone. "What? You must be kidding," I snorted, what has gotten into him?

"But I'm not, don't transform unless you want to...never mind," Plagg floated beside me. I had no idea what to think. He was acting so weirdly. I was puzzled, at the same time not wanting to care.

"You know what, I know this won't be easy. But I have to tell you—" I didn't want to deal with whatever nonsense he was going to say next. "Maybe tell me later, when I come back home," I said, fluffing up my hair. 

I heard the kwami sigh in exasperation. How could he be annoyed? What thing could be so important that it could entirely change his mood? I didn't get it at all.

I uttered the transformation words against Plagg's will. A flash of green permeated the room, the tight suit wrapped around my body. I took my baton, not being able to wait to see Marinette. 

Not more than a minute passed; I saw the vague silhouette of a girl leaning onto the railing of a not-so spacious balcony. I stared for a while, before landing beside her, and wanting to surprise the blunette.

I locked Marinette into a tight hug, feeling the absence of her arms. My chuckle was soon swallowed by immense silence. My left eyebrow was raised once I let go. I saw Marinette with a blank face and without the wide smile I hoped to see. 

"What are you doing here?" 

Third Person

The hero didn't know how to reply. He pulled his bottom lip in disbelief. He refused to accept this was Marinette he was talking to. "What do you mean? Is that the hello I get?" 

"I didn't ask you to come here," she stated, emotionless. Bemused, the male took a deep breath and bit his claws. "Is this a prank? Because it isn't funny. We haven't seen each other for three weeks. I came because I missed you—"

"Well, I don't. Maybe you should leave," Marinette halted his sentence, sniffling, and pushing his chest away. "What?" Chat furrowed his eyebrows, shock and hurt crossing his face. "Are you okay...?" the boy asked, noticing her nose as red as anthurium.

Her eyes looked sore; she looked like she'd been crying for so long and was only holding it in. "We should talk," Chat Noir said with a flinty stare. "Where is this attitude coming from? You're crying? Why—"