Chapter 13: Seemingly insurmountable

Tw: Attempted Self Harm

Marinette Pov

"Alright. You're dismissed." Miss Bustier finished. I sighed in relief, I was extremely worn out and I looked forward to lying down to rest. "Hey Mari, I have something to tell you-" Alya was cut off. "Except you...Marinette," Ms. stopped her from continuing. I wondered what she could need me for. Hopefully, I did nothing wrong. I sheepishly waddled towards her as Alya mumbled to meet her outside after.  

"Listen Marinette..." My head rose in interest and my eyes widened in curiosity. My teacher showed me my report card, full of D- and even some F's. "Your grades have dropped. You used to have A's and B's. You do know punctuality is recorded...right? Lately, you've been coming to classes late, always drowsy, and you barely pay attention."

"Participation is sixty percent part of your grade, and you're just not as active as before. Your tests are left undone since you often come two classes late, sometimes four. And lastly, you don't even pass your homework, and when you do, it's clear that it was done rushed. You were one of my best students Marinette. I've noticed this, and tried to understand like maybe you had problems at home." She took a breath.

"I asked your parents about it, and they say you seem alright at home. So tell me, what happened...?" Miss Bustier questioned with concern. I felt like crying, running my lips over my tongue in nervousness. "I..."  

Clearly, I didn't know what to say. I didn't have any time to process all her words so instead, I spit out a pathetic response. "...don't know," Miss Bustier exasperatingly sighed, obviously disappointed in me. 

"If you keep this behavior up, I'm gonna have to suspend you Marinette. Your grades are worse than Rossi's. I'm gonna have to give you extra work. You've missed many classes." My jaw dropped once she pulled out papers from a folder on her desk. "Here, make sure to pass it tomorrow. It'll make up for your missing homework." 

I controlled myself, trying not to cry. There were obvious reasons for my inactiveness and failure to excel in school. "Okay. Thank you, Miss, I'll go now. My parents might be worried because I'm not home yet." I uttered morosely. 

"Alright then. See you next week."

I nodded and left the room, pulling my bottom lip in as I clenched my books and went to the locker room. "Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry." I repeatedly said. I neatly put my books in my locker and left. 

I composed myself before going out. "Hey girl! What took you so long?" Alya pouted. "Nothing important. What was that thing you wanted to tell me again?" I asked. "Oh...right!" The brunette recalled.

"Adrien, Nino, and I are going out to get some Ice Cream at André's. Though there's a catch, unfortunately, Adrien's bodyguard will be there. Regardless of that, you're coming, right?" She tilted her head hopefully. Ice cream...with Adrien?  I've dreamt of this moment, Adrien only hangs out with us once in a blue moon. No matter how much I wanted to come with them I knew I couldn't. 

"Sorry but...I have a lot to do at home, maybe next time." I looked away, my voice cracking. "I beg your pardon? Did I just hear that wrong? Mari, you've been waiting for this! Don't miss your chance!" Alya encouraged, bewildered. "I'm serious. I really can't, excuse me, I need to go work on something." I did a small bow, indicating apology. 

"Good luck with whatever work you need to do Marinette. I understand, I'm sure we can hang with Adrien some other time." Alya put on an understanding smile. I loved that about her, she doesn't ask questions knowing I'm upset, and she puts herself in my shoes. I'm glad to have Alya Césaire as one of my best friends.