Chapter 1: Midnight snack

Third Person

The raucous taps of her footsteps only grew louder. 

Panic. Worry. Adrenaline. 

Her heart had plummeted all the way to her stomach. Her arms swayed with pure dread. Her slender fingers gripped the paper bag tightly — simultaneously careful not to lose hold of it. Features twisting with fear, she desperately tried to make an escape.

The chaser had a firm intention to prevail, refusing to surrender that easily. 

To her dismay, it was a dead end. She sped off to an eerie corner with brick walls. It was a dead end too. Was this a maze? Some sort of labyrinth? Her mind was nearly as sore as her throat. And to think, this all happened because of a midnight snack. How clever could she get?

The blunette's arms were pinned to the rough, cool, wall. The hands that restrained her were no use. For she couldn't move a single limb due to the apprehension holding her back. Her eyelids came to an abrupt close, head hammering rapidly. 

No one was around. No one could hear her scream if she ever did. 

Knitting her eyebrows together, she wondered:

What would the average person do, if they were cornered by a man with a knife?

Flashback

Marinette's eyelids were particularly heavy. But her stomach was empty, growling madly as though it were an irritated lion that wished to be fed.

A cookie, perhaps? Then a creamy, warm, beverage to dip in. Oh yes, that sounds nice, she thought dreamily.

She wore her pink pajamas and her usual tank top. She knew what she had to do. She pushed her blanket off her, scurrying down the bed. Meanwhile, the kwami of creation was asleep on the mini bed Marinette had built for her. 

The blunette rubbed her eyes groggily whilst going down the hatch door. She strode towards the kitchen, walking to the fridge in the kitchen.

She opened it, taking the milk out. Marinette went to the cabinet, expecting to see one of her favorite snacks.

No more Oreos?!

She frowned, groaning in disappointment. How am I going to deal with this now? 

She knew she couldn't go back to sleep on an empty stomach. Despite living in a bakery, she'd frankly grown tired of the food there. But she certainly wasn't ungrateful. And Marinette wasn't quite in the mood for any of the leftover pastries in the fridge. 

Marinette had no other choice but to go buy some at a convenience store. It's not like anything would happen, right?

Marinette was too exhausted to change. She simply fixed her hair into a tight bun, and took a pink scarf. It was gonna be cold. Marinette took her handmade wallet and went out of the bakery, making her way to the convenience store. 

The streets of Paris were empty as she walked out of the store with a paper bag in hand. Its contents being her favorite cookies and a few baking ingredients they had run out of. It was getting colder by the second and she heard footsteps; chills ran down her spine. 

An unsettling feeling began to course through her veins. Somehow, she felt like she was being watched. An unknown presence she could barely decipher. The hairs on her skin stood up unpleasantly. Her knees were on the verge of buckling, her entire body, and soul about to tremble. 

She looked around, but no one was there. This was really unsafe, I should have gotten home as Ladybug, Marinette thought. Then again, Tikki was sleeping, and she didn't want to disturb her. After all, to meddle with one's sleep for a measly midnight snack could be a burden.