Chapter 29: Irresolute Verdict

Third Person

Flashback   

"Are you okay?"  

"Let's just get home please," the red kwami said wearily. Marinette didn't say another word and went up to her room after dinner.

The female didn't understand her kwami's distraught appearance. Tikki was usually so bubbly. Tikki carried a smile of encouragement no matter the hardships. Tikki gave her hope and something to look forward to when fighting villains. The kwami of creation would always be there if ever Marinette herself was going through a hard time. 

The blunette sat on her swivel chair, her kwami sitting in front of her on the table. Her pulse was racing; she was fidgeting with her vest in anticipation.  

At that moment, she was confused as to why the creature was so sad. "We need to talk..." Tikki breathed out. She nodded her head to tell her to continue.

"I hope you take this in with an open mind. I'm not sure if I did, but I just wish you do." She flew closer to her face. "Not too long ago, Plagg and I visited Master Fu to update him on the recent events." Her cautious expression remained. 

"Yeah, so?" Marinette couldn't quite catch the message. 

"And well, there's an unwritten rule about how heroes are forbidden to have deep relationships with civilians," the kwami whimpered.

Her eyebrows were brought together. "W-what are you saying?" 

"I always knew this, but I didn't want to hinder your relationship with Chat Noir. Both of you were in love and happy," Tikki gave her a moment to process. "Plagg and I begged for him to let both of you love freely, but Master Fu was adamant. He knew that dating a hero as a civilian wasn't supposed to happen," she said morosely. 

"T-then that means..." her voice broke down. 

"You need to break up with him," the creature stated unconfidently. 

Marinette's jaw unlocked; it was as if a hurricane hit her in the face. 

She expected them to love for eternity. She fell to the ground, her fingers gripping the chat noir doll in sheer despair. Chat Noir and Marinette was supposed to be a forever kind of thing. Knowing they had to separate broke her into a million pieces. 

Present

That very moment repeated in her mind, like a video on a never-ending loop. 

Awareness struck the poor girl, making incessant tears of dread slowly gliding down her skin.

She didn't want to believe it; she felt like having a heart attack. Marinette cried, her mouth letting out sniffles and deep exhales. Her fingers raked her scalp in frustration. Her arms trembled and her back hit the hard wall. Her body slowly slid down till her bottom hit the floor.

The number of tears she shed that day was too much to count. The pain Marinette was in refused to leave her no matter how much she tried to calm herself.

The experience wasn't unfamiliar at all. The fight with Spyke may have been scary, although this was worse. The kwami of creation was gone. Without Tikki, she was nothing. Her abilities were no longer there.

Even with that knowledge, Marinette had to save the day without her. She had responsibilities to tend to. Sitting still would only cause her more anxiety. Maybe, just maybe, she could try to figure it out each step of the way.