Chapter 19: Fortuity

Chat Noir Pov

I came into Marinette's empty room. I wondered why she wasn't there, usually, she'd be studying at her desk, playing videogames with randoms, or on her phone calling Alya or chatting with some of her friends at school.

Nevertheless, I put her 'reward' in an empty drawer to show it to her later. The drawer wasn't actually empty. To my surprise, I saw multiple photos of me as Adrien on that drawer.

I blushed, and closed it, eventually finding an actual empty drawer to put my reward for Marinette in.

I thought her parents weren't home so I decided to go look for her around while calling her name; eager to spend time with her once again as an actual couple. "Marinette?!" I yelled, coming down the stairs. My heart stopped once I saw Marinette and her parents eating at the table.

"Oh..."

My eyes widened and my nervousness increased with each silent, passing second. My eyes darted to Marinette and she was giving me the death glare, she looked cute trying to threaten me. I gulped, and I tried not to laugh.

"Chat Noir?! What are you doing here?" Miss Dupain-Cheng asked me. I sighed, accepting the situation I got myself into. "Mom, I can explain-" Marinette stood up but her father halted her words. "It's alright dear, let him speak."

I showed them a thankful smile and unsealed my lips. "Mister Dupain, Miss Dupain-Cheng, I apologize for coming uninvited. I think it's time I inform you that I've been visiting your daughter's room for a few months now. We've been friends ever since I did. We usually just play video games, eat your delicious pastries, or binge-watch movies," I elucidated, chuckling.

They all stared at me for a while; intimidating me a bit. "Why didn't you come down here then? We could have invited you for meals or snacks," Mister Dupain said. Relief washed over my body and I beamed.

"Please, take a seat beside Marinette. Let's eat before the food gets cold," Miss Dupain-Cheng spoke. Marinette's family and she herself were very hospitable — I was very grateful. "Really?"

"Of course son," he grinned. Marinette's mother gave me a welcoming smile and served me a bowl with the soup. I sat beside my silent girlfriend. "What's this called?" I looked at the meal in front of me, very much fascinated. The presentation was stunning and colorful.

Th blunette turned to me with a confused look. "You don't know?" she asked like I was supposed to. "It's Pot-au-feu, a French beef stew with different vegetables," Miss Sabine enlightened me. "It also happens to be our national dish."

"We usually prepare it only during celebrations. Marinette's grades went up so Tom decided to cook this," she added. I nodded in understanding and they all started to eat. I hadn't tasted Pot-au-Feu before. The moment I took a spoonful, I was in paradise.

The meat was tender and well-cooked. It wasn't too salty. The vegetables were crunchy and juicy — adding to the texture. It had a very distinct flavor. I was glad this was my first time eating our National dish.

Marinette's father made no mistakes. It was both immaculate and beyond delicious. Mister Dupain was not only the best baker in Paris but the best cook too. "This tastes amazing!" I complimented. "You flatter me," he smiled. "Thank you Chat Noir dear," his wife gave me a happy expression.

We continued to eat. I found myself staring at Marinette once her father spoke up. "Are you sure you two are just friends?" he smirked, making me gulp and Marinette choke. "Dad...!" "Tom...!" Miss Dupain and Marinette scolded simultaneously.

"I-it's okay Miss Dupain-Cheng," I assured before taking a deep breath and handling Marinette a glass of water. "What Marinette and I didn't tell you is that we just started a relationship yesterday. I hope you two approve of it," I anxiously scratched the back of my head while Marinette chuckled in slight embarrassment.