Chapter 24: Future melancholy

Third Person

"Master, please. I do not wish to interfere with her happiness." 

"It's for the best," the man stated, his hoarse voice echoing in the gloomy and caliginous room — quite unwelcoming. "But their relationship means everything to her master. I cannot just take it away from her. No one can and no one should," the kwami begged. "Please master. She means a lot to him. It would crush the poor kid," the black creature said.

"A relationship can lead to danger, especially theirs. As much as it would hurt me as well, it is for their own safety. Unless Hawkmoth is defeated, they are unable to be together," he knitted his eyebrows in disappointment. 

"It will affect their partnership master. Moreover, it would influence how they deal with villains—"

"Make it quick. Make it fast. Heroes and civilians must not have relationships of any kind. Otherwise, it will cause blackmail and chaos. This is for their safety," he uttered, discontinuing the kwami's sentence. "And if they refuse?" 

"I take back their miraculous."

"Understood, master," the two floating kwamis nodded in unison, leaving the residence with faces of pure dismay. 

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

"I really am sorry for what I did. I just thought being mean would get me attention. I hope you all forgive me."

"Chloé, get up the floor," Mylene snickered, helping the blonde who was kneeling on the cafeteria floor. "It's so weird seeing you literally begging for our forgiveness, when last time you just mocked my outfit and how pathetically poor I was," Alix sighed.

"And how you shamed me for being a try-hard," Kim pouted. "I mean i-it's okay if you all won't forgive me. I don't deserve it anyway," Chloé sniffed in regret while standing up, about to leave their table.

"No, wait," Alya stopped her, making the blonde turn around. "It's okay, we forgive you," she assured softly. "People make mistakes and you admitted yours," Rose smiled. "Let's restart and be friends again, yeah?" Sabrina added, looking at Chloé with contentment. 

The girl smiled widely, hugging the group of friends, and joining them at their table. "Hey, I have a question," Marinette scooted beside Chloé. Adrien listened eagerly, just as curious. "Sure, what is it?" she replied. The blunette stayed silent, before finally forming the words in her mouth.

"Were you the one who paid for my hospital bills?"

Flashback

"Oh! Chloé my dear, do you need anything?" The mayor of Paris beamed. "Well, yes, but this time it isn't anything designer," she said. "What?"

"It's my friend...I mean classmate. She got badly hurt and it's my fault," Chloé admitted. Her father didn't know what to say. This was nothing like his daughter. It was a sudden request he hadn't predicted.

The mayor was still at loss for words, letting out stammers. "Of course, anything for you. But why are you saying this? You never usually care about anyone. Their problems aren't yours, my dear," he explained.

Chloé mentally facepalmed. Only now did she realize how dumb her mindset was before. Honestly, helping others sounded much better to her. Instead of buying expensive things for herself, she could donate to the needy.

"Please, dad. It's the least I can do for her," the blonde pleaded.

Sure, she was grateful knowing her father would do and buy anything for her. However, she didn't want to be a spoiled brat anymore. Chloé preferred making her own money when she grows up, spending it wisely, and getting excited over a few cents. She had no idea where this came from, but it did, and that made her happy.

After some thinking, her dad reluctantly nodded. "What is it, then?" he crossed his arms. "I just need to pay some medical bills..." she chuckled in embarrassment. Mr. Bourgois smiled in approval.

Present

Chloé beamed in response, nodding. "No worries, it was the least I could do, and the only way I could redeem myself from all that I've done. I didn't mean to ruin your relationship with Adrien," she apologized with deep regret. 

Everyone flinched at the sentence, heads turning to Marinette. The model quietly panicked, avoiding all eye contact.

"Thank you, but what do you mean?" Marinette shook her head in disbelief. "I-I thought you and Adrien were—" Adrien cut her off. "Nope. I do have a girlfriend, but she's not Marinette," he chuckled nervously, saving himself.

"So...Lila did all that for nothing?"

Marinette only nodded slowly. The rest were confused as to why she wasn't devastated. She has had the hugest crush on Adrien. For some reason, she was showing not even an iota of sadness.

"Mari, can we talk?" Alya grabbed her arm and pulled her to the female's bathroom. "No need to pretend anymore. Are you okay?"

"Al, I'm fine," she spoke, taking Alya's grip off her hand. "Fine? Adrien has a girlfriend and she isn't you. And Lila kicked you—" 

"It doesn't matter now. It's not like I still have feelings for Adrien," she giggled. The blogger couldn't understand what was going on. She remembered seeing Marinette staring at Adrien from afar and wishing to be with him, then now suddenly she couldn't care less. What was happening?

"Please explain. I don't understand what's going on," she ran her fingers through her hair. "Well Adrien's girlfriend has nothing to do with me, I've moved on for a while now, and I'm dating someone else. Sorry I didn't tell you," Marinette sighed, scratching her nape.

Alya took a deep breath, processing what her best friend had just said. "Girl, why didn't you tell me sooner? And- who is this someone else that changed your mind so fast?" she inquired. Marinette laughed. Falling in love with Chat and getting over Adrien was not easy. It took time.

"Trust me, changing my mind was nothing but fast, as for his name, I can't tell you," Marinette said while shrugging. "And why not?" Alya narrowed her eyes, intrigued. "Because it's private. I'll tell you when the time comes."

"Fine," they both chuckled and went back to the table, explaining what they could to the others.

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

It was evening, and Marinette was going down the stairs with caution. She could walk a bit better after 'falling down the stairs'. "Bye guys!" she said, walking back to the bakery with her pink backpack hanging on her shoulder. 

Marinette started thinking of what Adrien said and who he might be dating. Maybe she was Kagami, another model, or other girls in their class. 

The possibilities were endless, but that didn't matter. She had Chat Noir and was happy to be with him. Adrien could now be genuinely happy too.

"I wonder who Adrien's girlfriend is, right Tikki?" Marinette wondered. "Yeah..." the kwami trailed off. 

She noticed Tikki's odd mood. The kwami of creation was always so cheerful. "Are you okay?" the designer questioned. "Let's just get home please," the red kwami said wearily. Marinette didn't say another word and went up to her room after dinner.

The blunette sat on her swivel chair, her kwami sitting in front of her on the table. Her pulse was racing; she was fidgeting with her vest in anticipation. 

"We need to talk..."

A/N: Blame this on my mood😩😩 LMAO— sorry besties love ya'll <33

Remember to Vote, Comment, and Share :)

Have a nice Day/Afternoon/Night...!

~1229 words~