Chapter 28: Quandary

Third Person

It was awfully windy, the grey clouds were covering the bright sun and blue sky. The atmosphere was oddly hazy. Gusts of brisk air blew nature's creation — trees, flowers, grass, and bushes. Buildings and houses emitted no light of any sort. The teen noted the gloomy ambiance of Paris.

There were no chatty friends riding bicycles. There were no usual civilians taking casual strolls. There was no banter of eager kids running to the playground. There were no tourists taking pictures and exploring the city. There were no birds chirping beautiful melodies. There were no noisy cars or motorcycles either.

It was quiet.

The hero landed on a rusty roof, wiping his masked eyes. Chat Noir was wandering aimlessly, barely able to process the events that had occurred. He was certainly uncomfortable being surrounded by emptiness. He didn't like the absence of noise. It wasn't the soothing type of silence; it was the frightening kind.

The green-eyed cat didn't bother to think of the questionable atmosphere, for his heart and mind were going through a rollercoaster of emotions. He couldn't think straight with the memory of Marinette's enraged expression. Every inch of him was full of regret.

He never imagined fighting with the girl he dearly loved. Let alone, separate right after.

Maybe he should just accept it?

Going on his own path without her could be a good decision. He could finally focus on his self and achieve his goals. He could continue to fight alongside Ladybug and defeat Hawkmoth.

Coming back to Marinette would never be an option, right? They already broke up and rekindling their relationship would be a lot of work.

Love was overrated anyway. Chat Noir saw heartbreak coming a mile away. The times they spent together were all in the past and he should let go of it. These uncontrollably desperate feelings he held would surely fade away sooner or later.

But what if they didn't?

What if he were to love her his whole life? What if Marinette would have already moved on and had a future with a man that wasn't him? His evergreen eyes continued to well up with tears.

Then again, Chat could never think of facing her again. He was too weak. The hero felt as if his spirit had fallen into a pit of dead souls.

So suddenly, he was pulled out of his thoughts when he heard a menacing laugh. It was undeniable that this particular cackle insinuated a possible catastrophe.

"From here on out, every single Parisian is expected to obey my every command without hesitation!" he heard a woman exclaim. Out of confusion, he followed the voice of the mysterious girl. 

Chat Noir gulped at the horrifying sight, taking a step back.

His eyes landed on millions of citizens. His friends, acquaintances, and creatures repeatedly bowing on the ground and air. They seemed to have no control over themselves. Their minds were completely warped. 

Such manipulation caused them to be helpless when it came to their behavior. Their eyes were all blank and they were applauding the woman in authority — who was standing on the Eiffel Tower.

Aside from all of that, he found it absurd how even mosquitos, flies, ants, and cockroaches were expressing their respect to the akumatized girl.

He couldn't hold in his gasp once he saw Hawkmoth, Master Fu, Tikki, and Wayzz included in the crowd.

"Marinette, I'd like to have a talk with you. Come before me!" Her red eyes looked down, but the blunette wasn't in sight. It baffled her; wasn't Marinette a Parisian? How come she wasn't there already?