Chapter 37: Sedulous

Third Person 

The blonde-haired man scrutinized his latest creation. Adjusting his glasses, he felt the smooth fabric with his slender fingers. 

His pocket vibrated direly, a tiresome ringtone reaching his ears. This was quite unusual. People who wished to reach him usually called from the telephone for inquires. There were very few individuals who knew his mobile number. 

He lowered his spectacles, walking away from the mannequin. He raised the phone from his left pocket; it was an unknown number. The intrigued male then brought the phone to his ear. 

"Hello? Who is this?" he answered gravelly.

"Is this Gabriel Agreste?" A deep voice asked, arousing the designer's interest.

"And if it is?" he scoffed, furrowing his bushy eyebrows. 

"This is the police. I believe you're a close friend of Miss Sancoeur?" said the man through the device. "Nathalie. Nathalie Sancoeur, to be precise."

His heart dropped to the pit of his stomach, throbbing irregularly. A bead of sweat slowly rolled down from his forehead as Gabriel's eyes expanded in terror. He was crippled by surprise.

"Yes, I'm her boss. I-i-is she okay?" he stuttered in panic, his voice summing up his dread. Impatiently, he waited for the police's response with bated breath. 

"Far from it sir. She got into an accident and is being escorted into an ambulance. She's currently unconscious, but breathing," the deep-voiced man told him. 

Uneasiness lurched in his stomach. The blonde was befuddled. His knees grew so weak that he could simply fall over. He was struggling to breathe, in spite of that, he held a grip on his phone and slammed his office door apart. 

Wordlessly, Gabriel marched down the gigantic staircase whilst his heart thumped louder and louder each second. "What's the address of the hospital?" 

The police informed him quickly, his mind memorizing the man's words. The hairs at the base of his neck standing up in nervousness. A wave of nausea threatened to take over him as he quickened his pace and saw the bodyguard he was looking for. 

"Simon, take care of Adrien, make sure he doesn't leave the house, and lock the gates. I'm going out with the limousine," he ordered without pause. The gorilla did as told without hesitation, nodding and making his way.  

It seemed impossible to rid his body of the adrenaline it had released. The designer pulled the car handle while apprehension flowed through his veins. He sat on the car seat, his spine hitting the backrest.

The gates opened automatically. Gabriel hit the pedal with his foot forcefully, and drove off once the two black gates closed on their own. 

His chest hammered rapidly. The male's head pounded with countless questions: How did Nathalie end up in that situation? What accident took place? Is she badly hurt? Is she still okay now? 

He regretted not having driven her home instead. It could have been such a simple task. He shouldn't have allowed Nathalie to commute alone. Gabriel knew he shouldn't have let this happen. It was all his fault. 

"Master, where are you going?" the kwami of transmission asked.

"Keep quiet, Nooroo," said Gabriel blankly, causing the purple creature to tremble. Frightened, Nooroo phased back into his grey vest.

He steered the wheel aggressively, pursing his lips in utter rage. 

The road shrunk in a narrow path, confusing him. Weren't hospitals supposed to be accessible?