The Running Boy

There he was, again.

Autumn kept seeing this boy run past her room every morning. From what she could catch, he looked about her age. She spent most her days waiting for his descent down the corridor. His black hair swishing in a blurry mess of obsidian, as he chased down the air. Arms perfectly in order, almost as if he'd been training his whole life.

Although she could never be certain why he was constantly running past her.

It was her fifth day in 'her new home', or at least that's what they told her it was.

She had no idea where her parents were, or her sister, but she tried not to dwell on it as there was nothing it would do.

There he goes, again.

Running in the opposite direction this time.

When he passed her window, she could see he was laughing. His dimples stood out prominently, and he had crinkles by his eyes as he smiled. He had just started to speak, to someone she'd guessed was at the other end of the corridor, as he moved out of sight.

I don't have a thing for running, but I sure do have a thing for good looking boys, she thought to herself.

Laughing out loud at her own thoughts, she covered her mouth quickly. Hoping she hadn't drawn attention to herself. Forehead wrinkly as she physically cringed at the thought.

Less than a week, she'd been here, and she still didn't have a single friend. Although that didn't surprise her since she'd hardly left her room, except from meals. Even then, she'd keep her head down, and eat alone; leaving as soon as possible.

She'd always been a shy and introverted girl, she liked to keep to herself.

She wanted to know more about the 'running guy', that's what she named him, seemed fitting.

So she decided at dinner she'd make her move, in hopes of making some friends. She figured her new 'home' was going to be pretty permanent. So a few friends couldn't hurt?

The time on her watch read 8:23pm, she placed her feet on the floor and made her way to the dining hall. The hall smelt of freshly painted walls, and it sickened her, just as this place did.

Arriving at the stiff double doors, she took a deep breath in, before heaving them open. Her muscles tensed at the action. But almost instantly, the doors flew open, and presented an overwhelming amount of teenagers. She mentally cursed the people who build this place, for putting in such unnecessarily heavy doors.

Rubbing her arms, her eyes scanned the room until they found the boy.

Dark black hair, slicked tight, that didn't move an inch. Decently tall. Muscles, clearly works out. Sat up straight.

He was sat with two other boys, that seemed to be around the same age as him.

Dirty blonde hair, rather long, that seemed to sway and change at any slight movement. Just as tall, skinny, slumped in his chair slightly. Used his hands to talk.

Brown hair, decently short, moves only at abrupt movements. Taller. Not as skinny. Even more slumped, seemed to be looking down at his tray of food.

They all looked so close, she wondered if they'd known each other before.

Realising that she was staring, she picked up a random tray of food. Her hands scratched against wooden tray, making her way over to the table.

Luckily it was at the far end so she had some time to prepare herself. She wasn't used to the whole making friends scene.

Finally she reached the table, and made eye contact with the boy she'd previous seen. Taking a subtle deep breath in before she spoke.

"Can I sit there?" She gestured to the empty seat next to him.

The brown eyed boy looked up at her, "Sure, take a seat." He finished by flashing a smile at her. The whites of his teeth seemed to almost sparkle at her. Seemingly charming. Dark brown eyes. Structured face, good cheek bones. Dimples.

"I was just saying, that this sandwich smells worse than Thomas' feet." He joked, whilst throwing the tuna sandwich back onto the boy's tray.

"I'm Thomas, by the way." The brown haired boy diagonal to her said. Dark brown eyes. Less prominent cheeks bones.

"Ah, the one getting insulted, I see." She responded with a playful tone. Looking down at her place, she realised she'd picked up a cheese sandwich. Not her favourite.

"I'm Newt." The blonde boy next to him added. Light brown eyes. Slimmer face.

"And I'm Minho." The boy who she'd seen running up and down her corridor. Almost black eyes.

Neatly styled hair. This took her by surprise, as every other time she'd seen him, his hair was a complete mess.

Wishing she'd at least brushed her hair, she finally mentioned her name. "Autumn."