Chapter 43: Swear By The Bible

"No matter what eyewitness testimony is in the court of law, it is the lowest form of evidence in the court of science."

~Neil deGrasse Tyson

-Wednesday, January 4th. 9:15am.

Chase drives steadily on the highway, heading to the New York district court. The music on the radio trend in the air over the completely silent couples on the road. The steering cover squeak like a hazelnut cracking under the teeth of a squirrel but Chase doesn't care about his grip tightening around the steering at every sigh of thought he let out.

His left elbow rests on the wind down window with his palm folded into a fist, supporting the weight of his chin. He shake his head subconsciously to the sentimental lyrics of the song try another day by The Wicked Band. Thanks to the radio the atmosphere around the car is soothing. He drive along the road silently, constantly stealing glances at his fiancee sitting spookily on the passenger seat.

Katherine looks out the window, her gaze fixed on nothing in particular. She shake her head slowly in sync with her favourite song wheezing from the radio. The gentle breeze ruffles past the car window, slapping against her face and causing her soft blonde curls to float in the air. She push a bunch of stray hairs away from her face, tucking them behind her ear to keep them in place.

Chase steals another glance at her before fixing his eyes back on the road. He notice her face slightly drop in a pale colour matching the perplexity of her emotions. He reach for the stereo and turns off the radio. She dazed out of her thoughts, giving him a glance over before looking back out the window.

"You've been thinking way too much lately." He croak, breaking the long silence.

Eyes lowered as she glare at him, her brows crease in a straight line. He sigh when he recognise the look on her face. It's the look of distaste and she detests it whenever he is disapproving of her thoughts.

"Look babe, I know you're confused. We all are. I know you're angry about the whole situation and I get it. I'm not happy about what happened either. Allison fucked this up for us and I wanna know why too. Just talk to me babe, I hate it when you ghosting on me." He whine.

A deafening silence stretch between the couples when Katherine says nothing back to Chase. Aggregated by this, his grip tighten around the steering but his eyes remain fixed on the road as if a blink would cause a catastrophe. His heart thumb in his chest and that was the fear of his fiancee shutting him out. It hurts and annoy him at the same time. She has always been his best friend, companion and accomplice.

As if Katherine could read his mind, she knows he's not happy about not knowing what's she's pondering on. She sigh tiredly, looking up at him. His chin lights up to the warm hand that reached for his cheek. He glance at her as she rub circles on his cheek, her soft auburn eyes bearing a tender look. He could see the apologies written in her eyes. He smiles at her then quickly looks back at the road patiently waiting for those apologies he saw in her eyes to be voiced out.

He was right about the apologies. "I'm sorry babe." She say.

He nods in acceptance of her apology. He place a hand on hers, taking her hand in his and placing kisses on the back of her hand.

"I just, don't get it. I can't find out what business Allison had with Mr Jean-Pierre or why she had to kill him. We were this close to taking over NY Demons and Allison ruin it!"

In a quick sweep of his head to his right, he glance over her just in time to catch a glimpse of the creased lines of frustration on her forehead. In contribution to get cause, he huffs out, "It baffles me too babe. I never thought Allison knew Mr Jean-Pierre personally..."