Chapter 33: Making It Perfect

"The mind is man's best companion, and his deadliest weapon."

~Unknown

-Friday, August 26th. 10:37am.

Jasmine paces up and down the observation room, hands folded across her chest, eyes gazing through the half silvered mirror as she watch Dr Ebony attending to Allison, who's laying unconsciously on the massage bed.

Dr Ebony picks up Allison's right hand, slowly checking for pulse around her wrists. She lift her head from the patient and stares at the monitor, silently studying her heart rate and pressure. She nods, satisfied with the figures displaying on the monitor, then she keeps Allison's hand back to her side.

Mr Shawn dart his eyes, stealing glances at Jasmine whenever her sudden movement would distract him. A small agitation running through his mind while he tries to concentrate on the activity going on the massage room.

He finds Jasmine's restlessness distracting.

Dr Ebony adjusts Allison's body on the massage chair, making her lie on her left side, still unconscious. She place her first two fingers on the side of her neck, examining her pulse. Letting out a satisfied nod, Dr Ebony gently returns her to the original position, laying on her back.

"Excellent" she mumble.

Jasmine presses the green button on the intercom, bringing her mouth close to the device, "Uhm, What's the update?" Jasmine sputter through the intercom. Pausing immediately, she wipe her hand across her forehead when she realise how hastily she had spoke.

"From her memory conflicts, we may have an edge of which memory to reform, judging from the sequence of struggles she seem to have in justifying the reason why she abandoned her home in pursuit of fame. But mere three sections of our experiments might not be enough to determine if we're settling on the right memory target." Dr Ebony reply.

Lowering her eyes, Jasmine grunts through the intercom. "English please?"

Dr Ebony lets out a low chuckle, adjusting the lens sitting on the bridge of her nose. Sometimes she forgets she is talking to a non scientists and she go on speaking a language only scientists comprehend.

"What I mean is, in order for us to install a forgery memory in her subconscious, we would need to find her most vulnerable memory. Those are the easiest to manipulate. And I think we might have gotten a memory to manipulate, but we need to run more tests to be extremely sure which memory to erase and replace with a forgery. It needs to feel congruent with reality in her mind."

"So, more physiotherapy sessions then?" Jasmine rasp.

"I'm afraid, yes." Dr Ebony nods. "Two or three more sessions."

"Okay, if that's what it takes." Mr Shawn finally speaks up. "But we have to work with time! The conference is in less than 3 months, and Allison has to be ready. So let's make it happen perfectly."

Dr Ebony gives Mr Shawn a nod, even though she can't see him as the half silvered mirror separating both rooms is reflective on her side. She slowly resumes her work.

*********

"We're gonna be late for the rehearsals" Becky hisses, folding her arms across her chest as she watch the last 2 girls leave the changing room. "Why does it take you ages to prep up these days"

"For real yo" Chandelier whine. "The rest girls are already waiting at the dance arena"

"Argh, Jesus!" Allison groan. "Just a minute! I have to fix my makeup for heaven's sake. Have you forgotten that I'm the Demon Girl of the year."