Chapter 46: The Verdict

“This is a court of law young man, not a court of justice.”

~Oliver Wendell Holmes

-Tuesday, May 8th. 12:17pm.

Silence has never been known to be this deafening until this day in the courtroom. The tension and suspense in the air radiates the irregular rhythm at which every heart pulsates. One could almost hear the neighbour's breath whizzing out of their nostrils. Almost every heartbeat is elated at this point; waiting on the verdict!

The benches in the public seating area seldom squeak lowly of exhaustion of bearing the weight and discomfort of people scooting over. It's the day for the hearing of the verdict, no one would expect the courtroom to be any less filled up. The benches on the first row are almost reaching the railing that separates the public area from the well of the court. A few people murmurs among themselves as it's almost inevitable to wonder what the verdict would be. The United States of America versus Allison Kringle is the most talked about case in the city.

The jury keeper had notified the judge that the jury had reached a verdict. With this reach was today's court session called for the hearing of the verdict. The public and medias makes an appearance in court, and that doesn't exclude the United States Marshals.

Coated in the famous jail uniform with cuffs holding her hands together, Allison is escorted to the dock. Every glimpse of the metal holding her wrists draws a reminder that she's just minutes away from what will be her fate. Being in this situation now makes her begin to wonder what exactly justice really is.

Is justice a bunch of people sitting in the jury box to decide the fate of someone they don't even know?

She stare remorsefully from one jury to the other. All twelve of them seated in the jury box with their distinguish faces. What could they have voted for? Did they find her guilty? Allison could only hope that they do what is right and let her go seek the help that she needs in a mental health facility, not in jail. She has hope in the verdict because she told the truth and her plea of guilty on insanity is the absolute truth.

A low screech from the door's hinge spatter her thoughts. She dart her eyes towards the judge's chamber just in time to see the judge appearing from the chamber. The court rise on their feet as the judge brusquely stride towards the judge's bench. She slowly settle herself in and puts on her lens.

"Shall we begin?" The judge waves the court to have their seat. "Comes now the matter of the United States of America versus Miss Allison Kringle. I have been notified that the jury has reached a verdict."

"Yes." The foreperson reply.

"Okay. You may proceed to read the verdict of the jury to the court."

The gallery heat up in low murmurs which earn them a glare from the judge who is seconds away from calling the court to order. Allison looks over her shoulder, her heart thumbs at the first pair of eyes she met. Blake!

There is Chandelier sitting beside him, and Becky behind her. Looking past them, she sees her mother and Jasmine. For a while she had forgotten she had friends and family. She forgot she once had a life and a career. Her thoughts pull her mind in an endless swim in the deep ocean.

What would become of my life after I'm being sent to a mental hospital?

She cringe at the thought of everything changing once she's proclaimed not guilty and sent to a mental hospital for treatment. But then, she willingly accept her fate, being sent to a mental hospital is for her own good.

"...On the count of first degree murder, the jury finds the defendant not guilty."

Sitting upright in her seat, Allison didn't notice an heavy breath of relieve escape her mouth. She clutch her hands together in a prayerful gesture, totally unbothered by the handcuffs eating on her flesh.