Chapter 45: The Truth In Lies

"Tell a lie once, and all your truths becomes questionable."

~Unknown

-Tuesday, February 7th. 9:18am.

The cold weather of the January season prowl throughout the State. The degree seeming to drop by every minute. Chunks of snow covers sprawl the streets of New York City. Chilly air whirl widely, brushing pass people's faces as they hug their winter coats tight while hurrying down the streets.

Thick clouds hover over the snow dump vehicles and the workers driving down to the snow dump site. Some snow bikers are out in the street cycling in the snow. The snow chunder are in large clumps which makes cold weather cycling tricky.

Loud blares from cars honking stir the air. Drivers sit impatiently behind wheels stuck in traffic. The traffic on the highway is hideous and tight, vehicles are almost kissing each others bumper. At this point, people who have almost reach their destinations get off the taxis to continue on foot.

Becky pays the driver and disembarks from the taxi. She quickly help her daughter out as well. "We'll just walk down the road." She tells her. "The district court is only few walks away from here."

She hold her daughter's hand tightly and gently drag her along the walkway. She stops to adjust Angela's fur coat, making sure she is not expose to the cold.

"I'm okay mommy." Angela huff, a thick breath steam whirl out of her mouth.

Becky sigh, unsatisfied. "Do you want me to carry you?" She croak, but Angela shake her head.

"I can walk."

"Okay baby, we're almost at the courthouse. If you get tired of walking you tell me at once and I'll carry you, okay?"

Angela nods. Becky takes her hand and they continue walking to the district court. Becky steals a quick glance at her wristwatch, it's surface is misty from the cold weather. She wipes it on her coat to clear off the frosts on its surface.

"Damn," She mutter when she notices the time. "The court session must've begin already." She groan, doubling up her footsteps. Little Angela tries to keep up the pace with her mother.

They arrive at the district court after a three minutes walk. Reporters parade the perimeter with cameramen. Becky shake her head, unsurprised.

It would take more than a cold winter morning to keep these reporters away from the courtyard. She sigh.

They hurry into the grand building, almost running through the hallways. After several apologies to people they bump into, they finally arrive at the courtroom. Becky pushes the large doors on the rear and they fly apart, reveling the courtroom. Few heads turn to glare at the latecomers. Becky smile uneasily and quickly pull her daughter inside. She quickly scout for a vacant seat on the last row in the court gallery. They are just in time for the defense direct examination of a witness.

Jasmine slowly walk to the open space in front of the court. She share a quick glance with Allison before halting in front of the witness stand. The court clerk gets up to address her. "Could you please state your name to the court?"

"Jasmine Janet Joaquin."

"Could you please spell your first and last name?" The clerk demand.

"J. A. S. M. I. N. E, J. O. A. Q. U. I. N."

"Would you like to affirm or swear an holy book?"

"I'd like to affirm." Jasmine state.

The clerk nods at her, "Please raise your right hand and repeat after me. "I solemnly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give will be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."