Chapter Thirty Two - Allie

Allie

I wake up in the back of the van next to Tris. I reach out for Jak, but my fist closes around empty air. I pull it back in close to my chest and grasp it firmly with my other hand, imagining that it is my boyfriend's hand in mine.

Jak is sat up front in the cab for some reason – probably to separate us so we can't conspire. I look across at Beatrice, who is slumped against a sack of rice, hugging herself. I wonder whether she has a boyfriend too; the mumbles of 'Tobias' in her sleep suggest so. I gently shake her to wake her up. She slowly opens her eyes, which shine blue-grey in the cold unwelcoming daylight. She blinks at me a couple of times, yawning, before speaking.

"Sleep well?" she asks.

"We're hostages."

"Right."

We stare off into the distance awkwardly, until my curiosity gets the better of me and I break the silence.

"So, who's Tobias?" I say.

"No-one," she replies. "How do you even know that name?"

"You were mumbling in your sleep."

"Ah."

"So please tell me who he is, I just want to know a little more about you."

Tris looks at me sideways. "Okay, but only if you tell me about your life after."

"Deal."

Tris begins her story, about how she chose Dauntless at the Choosing Ceremony, how she met Four, her instructor, and learned to fight. She explains how he rescued her from Peter, and how they had fallen in love in that dank infirmary. I gulp back a sigh of sadness at the part where she runs off to Erudite to sacrifice herself.

I listen to her voice for roughly an hour, until she finishes the story at the present day. The love that she tells of between her and Tobias sends pain shooting through my body. I hope that one day, if we ever get out of this mess, Jak and I can have that sort of relationship. I doubt it though; I've only been dating him for three months now. I was probably just a filler for the time in between real relationships. A small wet tear escapes my eye and I lie back against a crate, the sharp edges of the wood digging into my back, but I don't care. I don't really care about anything anymore.

*Sorry for the short chap! I'm not getting many reads per day, so I hope that he fanfic isn't getting dull :( Anyway, who knows what year you're reading this in? It could be 2030! Thanks for 157 reads, and I promise to update tomorrow! Byeee!*