Chapter Fourteen - Tris

Tris

These thugs are really starting to get on my nerves. One, I die. Two, I rise from the dead in a morgue. Three, my truck breaks down. Four, I get into a fight with a killer bramble. And five, I end up captured with nobody close by to help, stuck talking to stupid little Jak and Allie who think they're the cat's pyjamas. This is why I hate younger children.

Muscled Thug, with a chain necklace and a tattoo on his neck that reads Lucy 4 Eva, lumbers over to us. I begin to wonder whether it means Lucy for ever, or that he traded his girl Lucy for one called Eva on the black market. I wouldn't put it past him.

He looks at Allie through squinted piggy eyes. "Geh up," he snarls. Allie tries to stand, but the short chain attached to her shackles pull her back down again. Muscled Thug laughs and spits on her face. "I'm a wondering whever you're wurf anyfink," he growls, his thick foreign accent slurring his words together. Allie just looks up at him with pleading puppy eyes. She looks so frail and weak, chained to a metal post with an old sock in her mouth.

Gutting Thug ambles over with the grace of a zombie. He leers down at Allie. I nicknamed him Gutting Thug because he's always ripping the innards out of some poor animal, before roasting the carcass on the fire.

"You got parents?" he asks. Allie nods.

"They rich?" he asks. Allie hesitates, as if taking something into careful consideration, before nodding once more. The thugs grin, yellow and gold teeth sitting crookedly in their red gums. The attempt at a smile looks more like a grimace.

I sigh. If Allie's mama and papa are so damn rich, why haven't they come looking for her, or at least sent out a search party? I shake my head and stare down at the small patch of weeds by my feet. I sigh.