Callan was taken aback at this appeal "No way! keeping this bracelet would mean that I am cheating my way up. Besides this metal acts on its own sometimes. I have no control over it. If something happens, we could get exposed."

Aurora was persistent "I know you are worried but I am worried too. If you keep wearing this bracelet it would give me assurance of your safety. Just wear it for my sake please."

"What if it shows its powers?"

"It wont. It will only act when you have extreme emotions. So try to take deep breaths and keep your mind cool." However what Aurora was saying was the complete opposite of how the metal worked. She just wanted to keep him under check. For the past few days she had been working on deciphering the know how of Callan's powers through the old book. In the meantime she wanted Callan to control his powers so she could be ready to teach him what she learned through the book.

Callan reluctantly nodded at his friend which brought an enthusiastic smile on Aurora's face. 

****

The anticipation and anxiousness of the crowd was silenced when the Alpha entered the arena and took his rightful place besides Rosaline. He moved his head around the entire open field and saw the one for whom his heart ached, standing near a tree all alone. He looked to his sides and noticed that Garrick had left his place to stand among the participants. 

Einar stood from his place and raised his head to reach the sky. He bellowed his howl to show his authority and declared that there was no one above him. The crowd all at once bowed their heads and kneeled in their own places expressing their respect and acknowledging the Alpha's dominance. These were the times when Callan regretted not being a wolf. Unlike everyone else, he was not compelled to bow down or submit to the Alpha. It was very hard for his conscience to give in before any other force. His instincts denied this enfeeblement. With a sigh and reluctance he kneeled before Einar.

Einar then linked everyone and commanded them to take their positions. He saw the look on Callan's face expressing dispassion. Though he would have overlooked a million of his misdeeds but when it came to respecting him as the leader, Einar could not tolerate the disregard Callan showed. 

He gulped his anger at the moment and looked at everyone around with delight "It is with great honor and privilege I announce that this years participants are the most ever witnessed than in any of the previous trials. I am humbled to know that you all are willing to serve your Alpha. It means that I have proved my worth. Thank you." He quickly scanned the ground and located his father. He acknowledged the proud look of his father with a smile of his own.

"Now to begin with, to make our pack more efficient and self reliant I have decided to bring in some changes..." As soon as the words left his mouth the crowd erupted in  murmurs. The wolves loved their everyday lives however monotonous it might've been. It was their basic instinct. It was one of the reasons the rituals and traditions were followed generations after generations without any questions. They did not wanted to embrace change.

Einar cleared his throat "I know that you all are disinclined to do something which you have not done ever. However I would want you all to trust me because whatever I do will only be for the betterment of the pack."

The crowd hummed in response. Einar looked around before bellowing his voice "Before we begin the trials I would like the defenders to step forward." Amongst the chattering and buzzing of the people Garrick, Arthur and Callan made their way to the stands of the Alpha. They stood at a comfortable distance from each other and turned their backs to their Alpha to face the crowd.

"Standing before you are the sons of the former beta, gamma and the head warrior. Make sure you choose the right person to challenge for there are no second chances." Einar pointed his finger towards Garrick "The ones who wish to challenge Garrick; step forward."