XXIV. Minerva McGonagall

The One with the St. Mungo's

The moment You-Know-Who returned, Albus Dumbledore had gathered all the members of the Order of the Phoenix.
     Sirius Black had offered Grimmauld Place because it has been empty for ages. Mr Black had put every security measure to prevent Muggles to peek around. Albus Dumbledore had also added his protection, making it the safest headquarters for the Order.
     You and Minerva travelled to Grimmauld Place and took place in the house. After them, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, the Weasley's, Severus Snape, Alastor Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt, and Hagrid, joined.

You, Nymphadora, and Kingsley were the spies of Albus within the Ministry while Severus worked as a double agent. You had grown a close friendship with Cornelius Fudge and Dolores Umbridge, you absolutely hate them but you had to act on it.
     You had informed Minerva, Severus, and Albus that Cornelius is transferring Dolores to Hogwarts, as the newest Defence teacher. ''He wants us not to be ready or something, Dolores spoke to me about how she is going to teach. It's horrible. If You-Know-Who pops out of nowhere, we have no students to defend themselves!''
     Albus asks if he could speak to you, in private. ''If things go horribly wrong. If Dolores becomes Headmistress,'' he starts, earning widening eyes from you. ''Try to convince Cornelius or Dolores that you want to teach Defence, to take away their stress. They trust you. I want you to teach them real Defence.'' You nodded, ''I will do my best, Albus.''

You could spend your holiday with your sister before she would be off to Hogwarts, again. ''Will you be alright?'' you ask cautiously. Minerva's thin lips form a warm smile, ''of course I will. I've been doing this for ages.'' ''Yeah, I know but with Dolores watching your neck. It doesn't feel right,'' you say.
     Minerva wraps her arms around her younger sister, ''I'll be fine. I'll beat her ass.'' She succeeds to make you laugh through some tears. ''Just don't get kicked out, okay.'' ''I will do my best,'' she chuckles.

While Minerva teaches Transfiguration, you travel up and down the Ministry and Grimmauld Place. Minerva had sent you owls with observations and notes. She had written she and Severus already hate her.
     During your breaks, you often had a chat with Cornelius. You casually asked how Dolores was doing at Hogwarts and Cornelius would happily talk with you about it. He had told you that Dolores appointed as High Inquisitor of Hogwarts by himself. ''What does that mean?'' you ask interested.
     ''Now, she has the power to remove teachers if they do not fulfil their job. I did that because I took notice of Dumbledore, slipping in keeping order.'' No, you are a coward who is afraid that Albus will take your place. You had faked your smile, ''that will do Hogwarts great.''

Since Dolores had become High Inquisitor, Minerva wasn't able to send letters because they were all checked and read by Dolores herself. They couldn't take the risk and decided to break off the contact for a while.
     At the end of the day, you were heading towards the exit of the Ministry when Cornelius called for you. With a confused look, you made your way towards his office. Before entering his office, you took a deep breath.

''Cornelius, you wanted to talk to me?'' you ask with a warm smile. He glances up from his paperwork and smiles broadway, ''ah, Y/N. Come sit down.'' He points to the chair in front of his desk.
     ''I tracked down your file again,'' he starts, fetching it. You swallow but stay cool. ''I've noticed you are excellence in Defence Against the Dark Arts,'' he continues. ''Yes, I am. I always had Outstanding on my Defence, which is an important characteristic of an Auror,'' you comment. ''Yes, yes it is,'' he mumbles.
     ''Is everything alright? Can I offer my help to support Dolores at Hogwarts?'' you ask, pretending to ramble things up. Cornelius bites on the end of his spectacles, ''yes. I think you will fit.''