XXXII. Remus Lupin

The One with the Prefect or Animagus

''Lyra, I'll see you soon, okay?'' you say. Lyra nods, ''prefect right?'' You nod, ''yeah. We need some instructions about being a prefect.'' ''Well, good luck then,'' she says laughing.
You head to the front of the Express, gathering with the others. You sit down in the compartment and across a tall sandy-brown haired boy with scars across his face.
Your eyes crossed and you sent him a smile. He felt flustered and looked away. You see a girl whispering in his eyes and the boy's face flushed even more. His eyes quickly shift to yours and the girl.

You were met by the Head boys/girls, who gave you the information about being a prefect. You had to 'take care' of the first years and misbehaving students. ''You are also allowed to take care of Peeves the Poltergeist when he is misbehaving.'' Some prefects sighed relieved.
''Now, we know the ground rules of being a prefect. We don't know each other, so we will be introducing ourselves.'' The Head girl was a Slytherin One. She then points in your direction. ''After introducing, you point another one.''

''I'm Y/N L/N, Slytherin,'' you say and point towards the boy across you. He flushes, ''I-I'm Remus Lupin, Gryffindor.'' He points a random boy and so everyone introduced themselves.
     Y/N L/N, I haven't seen her before. Wait, wasn't she friends with Severus?

After the Sorting Ceremony, dinner started and thus the talking. You sat next to your best friend, Lyra and Severus sat across you.
''How was the prefect talking?'' Lyra asks curiously. You nodded and swallowed your food, ''yeah, it was quite interesting.'' You glance past Severus to survey Remus and shift your eyes back at Severus, ''James and Sirius aren't prefects, so I can handle them.''
Severus shot you one of his rare smiles, ''thank you.''

Remus sat with his friends with Lily next to him. ''You were flustered back there,'' she whispers, which succeeds to flush Remus once again.
''Why were you flustered, Moony?'' Sirius asks curiously. ''N-nothing,'' he stutters, which makes James groan. ''Come on, Moony. Tell us.''Remus sighs, ''do you know the girl who walks with Severus sometimes?'' He waits for them to nod.
''Yes, Y/N.'' ''Yeah, she is a prefect too. But uh, I didn't see her that clear until now.'' His cheeks are crimson red and Remus surveys his plate. ''Oh, Moony has finally eyes for a girl,'' James screeches happily.

Weeks later, you had your prefect patrol. You were strolling through the halls when you suddenly bump into something soft. "Blimey," a male voice fills your ears.
"Remus?" you ask surprised. "Y/N?" You notice the surprise in his voice. It was light enough to see each other. "Strange, huh? Patrols over the whole castle and we bump into each other," you giggle.
Remus scratches the back of his neck, "yeah. Strange indeed. H-how are you doing?" You send him a smile, "I'm doing great. How about you?" "I'm fine," he smiles.

The next day, you sat with Severus underneath a tree. You had helped him with Transfiguration while he helped you with Potions.
"Moony, Snivellus has your girlfriend," James grunts. A light blush crept up Remus' face, "she is not my girlfriend. She can do whatever she wants." "No," James groans, "I'm going to do something about it."
"Prongs, wait! No! Prongs!" Remus hisses, but it is too late. James marches towards you and Snivellus.

"Ah, found yourself a girlfriend, Snivellus?'' James taunts. You rise onto your feet, ''leave him alone, Potter.'' James sends you a disgusted look and draws his wand. You automatically draw yours, ''don't do anything you'll regret.''
James smirks and opens his mouth to fire a spell. ''Expelliarmus,'' you say and catch his wand, ''detention.'' James groans and shoots another look at Snivellus before walking off. Sirius stood by Remus as James walked away.
''Great move,'' Remus compliments. Your cold expression disappears like snow in front of the sun. You crack a smile on your face, ''thank you. I'm sorry, but you two have been taunting Severus for quite a long time.''

You've grown close to Remus. You were studying with each other, he took you to Hogsmeade. Remus had grown fond of you, but he knew you would run away if you knew what kind of monster he is. That's when he decided to break off the contact a little, for you own safety.
You obviously noticed something was wrong. He had been acting strange too, blew off study appointments. He seems paler than ever. After you had asked what happened to him, he started to stutter uncontrollably. You had pulled him into a hug, ''it'll be alright.''
However, you didn't let it rest and tried to figure it out. He doesn't know that you are an animagus. A wolf, to be precise. So, you could sneak up to him, whenever you wanted.
It was a full moon and you decided to shoot a chance. You pretended to be on patrol and strolled through the halls. Silhouettes had caught your eye and turned towards the window to get a better look. You saw what looked like a stag, dog, and Remus. You frowned and ran outside.

You turn into your animagus and pursue them to Whomping Willow. Your eyes widen when the Willow was numb and didn't attack you. You slid down and continued to walk, ending up in the Shrieking Shack.
You stalk closer, but you are met by a giant black dog, who apparently smelled you. He barks silently to warn you, but all of a sudden, you know who this is. Padfoot, Sirius. Prongs, James. Moony, Remus.
You pass Sirius and Sirius somewhere recognises the smell, but can't place to whom it belongs.

Remus transformed into a wolf. You watched him with pain in your eyes, it seemed like they didn't like each other. You cautiously stepped forwards, earning a growl of Sirius. You ignored it and stalked closer.
Remus howled and you howled back. He seems to recognise and backs off. James and Sirius are watching with widening eyes and open mouths. You walk closer and closer until you are in his claw reach. Remus didn't seem to do anything but watch.
Your face was close to his and you licked his face softly. Remus replies to your movement and licks your nose. He seems to recognise your scent and calms down. You snuggle yourself closer to his wolf form and Remus snuggles closer to you.

James and Sirius are watching you with widening eyes. ''Could it be Y/N?'' You raise your snout and look at the Gryffindors. Sirius turns his gaze towards the wolf and nudges James' arm, ''I think she is. Look.''
''I didn't know she was an Animagus,'' he comments. ''We do now,'' Sirius add dryly. ''I think we will be able to leave them right? Now Moony is calmed down.'' Sirius glances at the two and shifts his eyes back at James, ''yes.''

The two Gryffindors had left to catch some sleep before checking on them the next morning.
     When they did, Remus was cuddled up with the wolf. James and Sirius both looked at each other surprising looks. As it may look cute, they need to bring Remus to the hospital wing. They had to leave you behind because they had their hands full on Remus.

Hours later, you started to stir awake. Not knowing where you were. You looked around the room, noticing the Shrieking Shack. You wonder why you were here but memories of last night came through.
     You got on your feet, running back to the school. You rushed to the Slytherin dorm, bumping into Severus. You groan as you hit the ground. ''My Y/N!'' he called, ''where did you come from!'' ''I ... I went for a walk,'' you said, but Severus knew you were lying. ''I need to hurry,'' you excuse and run past Severus, leaving him confused behind.

You refresh yourself in a short time before grabbing your books and heading to Transfiguration. Once you say down, you glance around the room, spotting James and Sirius. You narrow your eyes at them, wanting an explanation for all of this.
     Sirius silently agrees.