XXXI. He Who Must Not Be Named

The One with the Kill

"Welcome back, Y/N," Albus greets warmly. You smile, not fully believing you are really back at Hogwarts. "It's wonderful to be back."
     "You already know the Professors," he comments and you nod. You were a bright student back in your time and they loved you. "Hello, Y/N," a female voice reaches your ears and you turn around to see your old Transfiguration Professor. "Professor McGonagall," you smile.
     "It's Minerva now," she raises a brow while smirking. "Ah, excuse me," you say - bowing like a lady. Both burst out in laughter.

"You haven't aged a day." That monotonous voice you recognise everywhere. "Well, thank you, Severus." You turn around to smile at him.
      "Is it true that you know who is back?" you ask anxiously. Minerva nods, "poor boy of a Potter saw him when he was brought back to life." "But that was in his fourth year, he's in his sixth year now."
     "You will be doing great, Y/N," Filius comments warmly as he spots your concerned look. "Thank you, Filius. It means a lot." Oh, Tom. What have you done? You felt a sharp pain in your heart as your mind wandered to the Dark Lord.

You were introduced to the whole school at the very beginning of the year.
     Your classes went smooth and everyone enjoyed it. You had set up some ground rules and then you had started to teach them how to defend themselves.
     One day, you were sitting in your classroom with the door open. It is weird to be back, you thought and surveyed the seats where you and Tom used to sit. You were the only one he chose to become close.
     You were snapped out of your daydream as someone knocked onto the door. "Come in," you said - not looking up. "Professor?" You recognised his voice. You glance up to see Harry Potter, the one who has seen him return.

"Harry, what can I do for you?" you ask. "Professor, May I ask how old you are?" Harry asks nervously. You smile, "72." Harry's eyes widened, "72? You look very young for your age. Does that mean you,-" Harry couldn't finish his sentence, but you knew what he was talking about.
"Yes, I went with you know who to Hogwarts," you finish his sentence with a small smile. You locked the door with your wand and silenced the room. "Can you tell me about it?" He asks hopefully.
You draw a silver line out of your temple with your wand and throw it in the classroom. The silver line forms people sitting in their seats in the class. "This was me," you say, "in my fifth year. Just became a prefect." You survey Tom - laughing with you.
     Harry recognised the boy next to you. He had seen him in the chamber of secrets. "That's him," Harry points to the boy next to you. You smile sadly, "yes, that is him."
     "Thank you, Professor. I was just curious," he says. "I understand Harry. Now off you go."

Harry left the classroom and you sank onto the seat where you used to sit. You rest your head on your hands and close your eyes.
     You didn't hear someone walking in into your classroom. "Y/N?" "Yes?" you answer in a small voice. "Are you alright?" Albus asks - sitting down next to you. "Yes, I just realised that Tom and I used to sit there and we always had so much fun. I don't know how that changed so fast."

You cling onto Minerva as you raise your wand. Severus, how could you? You thought. Minerva stood strong in front of her students, but deep down you knew she was breaking.
     Later in her office, she cried her eyes out. She lost one of her best friends. "He helped me when I just came here. I was just back at Hogwarts when I broke down in my office because the love of my life was going to get married," she speaks.
     "He never wanted you to be sad, Minerva. He wanted you to be strong and lead Hogwarts like he did," you encourage. She glances up and smiles, "thank you, Y/N." 

Harry's seventh year has begun and the death eaters took over the school. Severus became headmaster and everything became cruel and vile.
When the news spread that Harry Potter is back in the castle, Severus had gathered every student in the Great Hall - including you.
Harry steps out of the crowd, causing students to gasp. "It seems, despite your exhaustive defences strategies, you still have a bit of a security problem, Headmaster," he spoke. Great Hall doors open to reveal the Order of the Phoenix members.
"I'm afraid it's quite extensive, how dare you stand where he stood. Tell them how it happened that night! Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you and killed him! Tell them!" Harry yells.

Severus draws his wand at Harry, but you and Minerva step in front of Harry. Severus looks taken aback but readies his wand.
You fired the first spell at Severus. Severus didn't fire back, not wishing to hurt you both. He instead blocks and parries her curses. Every throwing two of them over his shoulders to knock out the Carrows. He then swirls into a puff of smoke and jumps out of the window. "Coward!"

Voldemort has planned a huge attack on the school. You had helped with a massive shield around the school. You were nervous to see him again, you heard rumours about how he looked like.
Harry left the school to prevent more deaths of his friends. Everyone knew he was about to get killed. Voldemort marched back with his follows. Hagrid was carrying Harry all the way to the school with tears rolling over his cheeks.
Ginny started to cream - asking who Hagrid was carrying. Voldemort started to speak that Harry Potter is dead. He wanted people to walk over, Draco did because of his parents.

You step out of the crowd - causing gasps from both sides. Voldemort couldn't believe his eyes, ''Y/N?'' His voice was vulnerable for the very first time. "Tom,'' you say and you see he doesn't flinch. He always despised his muggle name of his father, but as long as it came from your lips, he was okay with it.
''Why?'' you spoke. ''You know why,'' he answers gently and slowly walks closer. ''Take over the school,'' he demands, ''let them all alive.'' After he said that, he gently grabbed your arm and apparated.
He lets go of your arm as you are in the Riddle mansion. You observe his features, these are not the ones I fell in love with. His mind and his body have changed.

''Why did you leave me?'' you ask - fixing your gaze on the huge window. ''You did not support splitting my soul, my dear Y/N. I did not want you to see me afterwards.'' His voice was right behind you. You could detect a small emotion, guilt.
''You were all the sudden gone,'' you say - walking to the window. You stare out of the window as the old painful feelings invaded your body. ''You damaged me badly, Tom,'' you continue, ''I did not support it, because how was I supposed to possess all of your love?''
''My darling Y/N, you know you have all of my heart,'' he whispers. You turn around to look at his pale face, ''this is not you, Tom. This is not the Tom I fell in love with.'' You lay your hand on his chest - where his heart lies. You suddenly see the Tom you fell in love with.

His eyes widened, ''what are you doing?'' He snarled and stepped back. You let go of his chest and he turns back to his pale face. "I-I didn't do anything," you stutter. He gently gets a hold of your hand and lays it on his chest once again. ''It's you,'' he breaths, ''it has always been you.''
''May I kiss you?'' he asks. You observe him, he looks exactly the same as back then. ''Yes,'' you whisper. He gently pulls you closer and reunites his lips with yours once again. You missed this, so much.
He pulls back and draws his wand, ''expecto patronum.'' A silver vapour bursts out of the tip of his wand and it forms itself in a great grey owl. The white glow both lit up your faces. You watch the owl flying around and around you before flying out of the window - disappearing. You followed the owl and fixed your gaze back at Tom with a confused look.
''You're the happiest memory. I've never stopped loving you. You were always on my mind, never leaving it. I love you, Y/N.'' He glances in your E/C eyes he always had admired. ''I love you too,'' you whisper. You lean back in to feel his lips once again.

You carefully took your hand off his chest. Nothing changed. Tom was the Tom you fell in love with. He observes himself - recognizing his own body.
''It's you,'' he whispers.