17

The autumn of 2018 has just commenced, which means it has been almost a year since the boys bid farewell to the vampires.

Since they were in their final year of high school, Seungcheol, Jeonghan and Joshua were preparing themselves for the infamous, daunting College Scholastic Ability Test (CSAT) which is organised nationwide annually. They did not even miss any single night burning the midnight oil with piles of books messing up their respective desks inside their dorm.

"Hey, Cheol. Can you help me to solve these questions? I have tried my best to figure out the answer, but still, I thought that my brain has jammed out. Urgh, the exam is literally around the corner...", Joshua scratched his head, signing himself has already found the dead end. He was really concerned about the Mathematics subject - one of the subjects that he found the most arduous to catch up on, especially probability and statistics.

"Here, let me look for it," Seungcheol, who was one of the Maths prodigy in their class, receiving the exercise book from Joshua's hand before looking through the question thoroughly.

Question: "One card is selected at random from a standard deck of 52 playing cards. Use a formula to find the probability of the union of the two events. The card is a face card or a 2."

"Hmmm, alright Shua. Before we can use a formula to solve this problem, we need to determine if these are overlapping outcomes. This is because our formula contains one more term if these outcomes overlap. If the outcomes do not overlap, then this term has a value of zero and can be ignored bla bla bla..." Seungcheol continued to elaborate the method of solving the question. Joshua seemed to be drowned into puzzlement listening to his explanations until the point where he turned cross-eyed due to staying late at night.

"...so the final answer is 4/13. Ta-daa, problemo solved," The Choi Seungcheol guy managed to hoax around.

"Wow, thanks for that, Cheol. I'm a bit sleepy now," Joshua rubbed his eyes, signalling that he has no energy and intention to further the study group any longer. A few seconds later, he started to yawn on a few occasions and stood up from his chair, moving towards his bed.

"Yah, have you studied English and the National (Korean) Language?" Seungcheol queried him with a wrinkled face. "If you already have, I think that I need you to guide me for the former," he added with a request.

"I have already studied English, but the national language, not yet," Joshua replied while pulling his blanket to prepare himself to sleep. Joshua apparently did not worry much about that subject - it was one of his favourites, yet he also excelled on the language since his elementary school days - other than Vernon.

"Oh, glad to hear that!" Seungcheol began to smile in relief. To be frank, he was also no exception from experiencing sleepiness that night, resulting in himself switching off the desk lamp. Jeonghan meanwhile, had already drifted into his dreams earlier than the other two. Both of his hands were seen hugging his bolster firmly as he snored faintly.

"Sheesh, this guy's always been a sleepyhead, isn't he?" He murmured in a sonorous manner and walked towards his bed, climbing the stairs and comfortably, laying on it with a lot of thoughts bothering his mind. 

◇◇◇◇◇

A few weeks had passed, and the three boys had finished their CSAT examination - which means they need to wait till the results would be released - also they had concluded their high school lessons and they had the prestigious SKY universities being on standby in their list of colleges in their minds.

*For info, SKY is an acronym used to refer to the three most prestigious universities in South Korea: Seoul National University, Korea University, and Yonsei University. The term is widely used in South Korea, both in the media and by the universities themselves.