19

Mingyu walked through the bustling Gwangjang market while holding his younger sister's hand searching for the latter's favourite snack – which was bungeo-ppang, a fish-shaped pastry stuffed with sweetened red bean paste, similar to Japanese taiyaki. It's not like there were no nearby eateries that sold bungeo-ppangs around Seoul, but her sister would prefer the ones from nowhere else but a small stall inside Gwangjang market. They were tastier than the ones in restaurants, she said. As a sign of his unwavering love towards the little girl, Mingyu granted her desires wholeheartedly.

"Oppa, when will it be our turn?" asked Mingyu's little sister as she witnessed the long queue showed no signs of decreasing. "I'm totally hungry," she caressed her belly. Her stomach began to rumble in hunger.

"Myungju-ya, just be patient, okay? Bungeo-ppangs here are extremely scrumptious, that's why there are many people who want to buy them," Mingyu kneeled down, holding her shoulders as he notified her to have an ounce more of patience.

After their turn had arrived, the two siblings ordered two bungeo-ppangs – one for each. Myungju seemed delighted receiving her bungeo-ppang. The two didn't forget to thank the seller after paying for their snacks.

Mingyu smiled watching Myungju enjoy her bungeo-ppang joyfully. Seeing her happy was his serotonin. She's the one who accompanied him many times during the absence of their parents overseas due to job matters.

As Myungju was occupied with her snack, she noticed someone was staring at them relentlessly.

"Oppa, why's that young woman staring at us like that?" Myungju asked with her full mouth.

Mingyu felt astonished by her sudden question and turned his head towards a direction. He couldn't help himself from widening his eyes.

'Minmin, is that ... you?' His mind began to monologue, his heart pounded like crazy.

"Mingyu-ya..." Minju couldn't believe that she would be able to see him once again. The one she yearned for so long. Mingyu quickly approached her and embraced the girl's body firmly.

"How'd you manage to come here, I mean...in this world?" Mingyu began to question her, still hugging her petite body. He never thought that he would bump into the girl after those agonising periods of waiting.

"Urmmm, it's a long story. I'll tell you later," Minju replied, attempting to control her mixed feelings while holding his shoulders firm.

"How've you been?" Minju released herself from Mingyu. "I'm doing fine right now, Minmin, thanks to my family and friends here," he replied. "And you?" It's his turn to ask.

"How could I say I'm fine when your image keeps roaming in my mind? I missed you like an idiot, pabo," Minju softly slapped his shoulders.

"Why are you guys embracing each other?" Myungju cutted Mingyu's words before he could finish it. Surprised by her question, Mingyu answered, "Oh, nothing, we're just friends."

"But you two seem much more like a pair of lovebirds," Myungju rebutted her brother's words. Both Mingyu and Minju were astonished by her words.

'This girl is cute and intelligent,' Minju thought as she started to admire her.

"No, I mean, she...she's sort of my special friend." Mingyu quibbled, scratching his non-itchy head. "Minju, this is my little sister, Myungju. Myungju, meet Minju."

"How old are you, unnie?" Myungju questioned Minju. Snapped by her question, she tried her best not to reveal her actual age. "Ermm, I'm the same age as your brother," she responded in a hesitant manner. "And you?"