forty

Taehyung and Goongmin were welcomed to the Park residence by a brightly smiling Seulgi. She handed them refreshments in the living room and asked her husband to entertain them while she gave some last moment touches to the dinner she's been preparing since this afternoon. Hyungsik and Goongmin quickly fell into a comfortable conversation about economy and politics while taehyung just sat there staring at a beautiful red lamp that was only meant for decoration purpose. The lamp was hanging from the ceiling and cast a light glow on the wall, barely noticeable. Taehyung smiled, wondering why such a beautiful lamp was hanging in the corner of the room.

Taehyung snapped his eyes away from the lamp when he heard footsteps and saw Jimin entering the living room. He wore a buttoned up white shirt and light blue jeans, his hair covering his forehead. Jimin had a distant look on his face. Taehyung understood and realised his reason for being uncomfortable. He gave Jimin a smile when Jimin looked at him accidently. Taehyung had half expected Jimin to approach him as soon as he entered his house but apparently Jimin was keen on keeping some good distance between them. However, the awkwardness of starting a conversation was avoided by Seulgi's announcement about the dinner being ready to eat and placed on the dinning table.

"Goongmin-ssi, thank you so much for accepting my invitation." Seulgi said, settling in her seat along with the others. "I don't have words to express how embarrassed I am of myself for causing you and your family so much trouble. I truly am sorry for that day Goongmin-ssi."

"Apology accepted, Seulgi-ssi." Goongmin smiled. "And thank you. If it weren't for you, then maybe the bond between my son and I wouldn't have gotten as strong as it is now."

Taehyung nodded agreeing with his papa making Hyungsik and Seulgi smile as well. Goongmin ruffled his son's hair receiving a whine from him. The dinner table was then filled with laughter and heartwarming conversations about jimin's and Taehyung's childhood embarrassments. Both the fathers heavily debating on whose son could be fooled easily back then. The conversation then drifted to the school festival and Taehyung enthusiastically spoke about his ideas for the event.

"Aww I really wish I could attend the festival to see the costumes designed by you." Seulgi said when taehyung proudly told them about his conversation with the drama club's head.

"You can attend the exhibition day." Jimin pointed. "Taehyung's paintings are just as amazing as his fashion sense."

"You paint? That's great!" Hyungsik complimented.

"He's an amazing artist dad. I remember he had gotten into digital art in tenth grade and oh God, he learnt it so quickly! He even animated a picture of us. It was my birthday gift an-" Jimin abruptly stopped himself remembering the events of that day and how much of a jerk he was to taehyung.

Taehyung had stopped eating and was staring at Jimin with sad eyes. There were so many good memories. But the bad ones are so painful that even if he tried to remember the good times, it wouldn't heal the wound caused by the bad.

"I don't understand..." Goongmin muttered, sighing.

"Taehyung-ah, please don't mind me asking but, why did you break up with my son?" Seulgi asked.

Taehyung didn't know what to say. He obviously didn't want to make Jimin look like the bad guy. But there was no other explanation to it. He thought it would be better to just brush this away with a false excuse and jump back into the lively discussion.

"It was just wrong timing.." Taehyung said shortly. Seulgi nodded, dismissing the topic as well but before she could say something else her son interrupted her in a harsh tone.

"I cheated on him." Jimin said gritting his teeth. "That's why we broke up."

"Park Jimin." Hyungsik's voice was stern and laced with anger when he took his son's name.