An Odd Pair | Darius Zackly

Darius Zackly was a mysterious person to everyone, he was quiet and reserved. He didn't share much on his personal life except to those close to him, no one even knew that you were married to him. He was strict and stoic while you were kindhearted and joyful.

To those who knew you were married, they would call you two an odd pair. You two met when you were younger, you worked at a bar and he was a regular there. He would always chat with you and tease you, you ended up falling for the man and got married a year later.

You were a housewife, who took care of your child until they left to start a family of their own, of course with the occasional visit. Darius was a busy man and you respected his position in the military, so you would always understand that he couldn't go home all the time. And when he did, you made sure to prepare warm meals for him and to let him relax.

Most of his time home was him reading quietly in the living room or spending time with his grandchildren when they came to visit. You enjoyed your comfortable life even if it meant Darius wasn't home all the time and it left you alone.

"Darius?" you called out for your husband who was reading a book in his usual chair, you were in the kitchen preparing dinner.

"Yes, Honey?" he replies, bookmarking and setting his book on the table. He walks to the kitchen to see you cutting up vegetables with a plain white apron wrapped around you.

"I hate to bother you but can you please set the table?" you set the knife down and wash your hands, patting it dry on your apron. Walking to him and bringing your hands to his face, your thumbs gliding across his cheeks.

"We're getting older and older everyday." you lightly chuckle, then frown at the sight of his tired and sunken eyes. "You need to stop overworking yourself, Darius. It's unhealthy, you might get sick."

He shakes his head, putting his hand on-top of yours. You let out a sigh and return to the chopping board, "Alright, just please set the table."

~~

"Welcome! What can I get you?" you greet the customers who just entered the bar, you hold a tray in your hands that carries all the alcohol that the other customers ordered.

A man wearing a military uniform stepped inside, fixing his jacket. His gaze was set on you as you set the drinks down to its respective table and thanked the customers for their order, you walked back to him with one hand on your hip.

"How may I help you, sir?" you asked again, giving him a polite smile.

"I'll have some scotch." he tells you, you nod in reply. "Alright, go take a seat and I'll have your drink right with you."

As you pour the drink into a glass, the door opens again to reveal another man in a military uniform. Upon closer inspection you spot the uniform of a Garrison member, "Is that my favourite customer? Pixis?"

The man smiles at you, walking to the table with the same man you had taken your order from previously. "The usual, (Y/N)." he says.

You nod and grab another glass and a full bottle, placing it on your tray and making your way to their table, setting it down and giving them drinks. "You didn't tell me you were here for military business, Pixis. And you surely didn't tell me that you knew this young man, he's quite handsome."

Pixis roars in laughter, downing the scotch. "You mean Darius? Well that's a first, (Y/N). I thought you had a liking towards me." he jokes.

"Oh Pixis, you're my favourite customer after all." you chuckle, "Darius, that's a nice name."

Winking at the two men, you leave and tend to other tables while they drink and chat. That was the first time you and Darius met, Pixis always liked taking credit for bringing the two of you together.

You sat on your side of the bed, a small book in your hands with your reading glasses on. The only source of light was the candle lit on your bedside table. It was still dark in your room but it was enough for you to read.

The door creaked open quietly to see your husband shuffling over to the bed, making sure not to bother you. You giggle at his attempts to be quiet and look up from your book, "You're going to bed early."

He kicks off his shoes, pulling up the blanket and sitting up beside you. Setting your book down, you remove your glasses.

"I just want to stay in bed before having to go back to work again." he whispers, leaning into his pillow comfortably.

"I heard about Eren Jaeger's case, I'm glad you went with Erwin's decision." you smiled, knowing that it was the right thing to do.

"He's just a kid, imagine having all that power and pressure on you. The Military Police wanted to dissect him, poor child." you told him, shaking your head profusely.

"These times will only get more dangerous and more chaotic, riots breaking out now and then." he tells you, putting his glasses in its case on his bedside table.

"That's why you need to be more careful, your job is very risky since you're in charge of all the decisions in the military. One wrong move and who knows what'll happen, Darius."

And with that you laid down, drifting off to sleep with Darius beside you. All your worries went away in your sleep only for it to come back when you woke up, he was going to be leaving again and for who knows how long.

You stood outside your home, worriedly looking at your husband who was about to leave in a coach for work. You badly wanted to convince him to stay longer but you knew he had too many responsibilities to do so.

"Please be safe, send me a letter when you're coming home." you held his hand, bringing your lips to his in a quick yet soft kiss.

"I will, I love you." he says, walking to the coach and waving. You wave back as the coach leaves your sight of view. Letting out a sigh, you step inside your home, your now empty home.