devil man | bertholdt hoover

Monster, Bertholdt Hoover was a monster.

He told himself that every night before he went to sleep. He was a murderer at a young age, lying to people all around and even sleeping under the roof of his enemies. It ate him up inside.

He didn't want to be a monster but he knew he needed to be one for his father who desperately needed medicine that they couldn't afford. If it weren't for Bertholdt's sacrifice to Marley then his old man would have kicked the bucket long ago leaving him an orphan. But would it be better than turning into a weapon that'll be disposed by the time his 13 years are up?

Was he ready to just throw his life away by spending next few years in Paradis for a mission he felt had no end? He wanted to run away, or travel back in time and convince his younger self to not even think about joining the Warrior program.

Even through all his suffering he was able to find a faint light of hope in the shape of you. You were a Scout just like him, graduated in the same class too. While he had his quiet, calm, composed, and weak willed attitude you were a complete 180. You were loud, expressive, determined, and overall what he thought a real soldier was made up of.

Not only that but you were kind, he had seen that every-time you stopped to feed a stray or help a civilian even if it got you in trouble. To him, you were an example of why not all human beings are evil. In all his 16 years of living he had never once met a person as genuine as you, he was entranced by every movement you made like it was a dance that he got to see for the first time.

As he slipped on his dark blue button-down top, he looked in the mirror to fix his hair before closing up all the buttons. Tracing the bags under his eyes he noticed that they had grown more prominent as he started to lack sleep recently. He was known for tossing and turning in his sleep as he woke up in the most unusual positions but the cause of that was his reoccurring nightmares that caused his great discomfort. Sometimes he would see shadowy figures closing in on him that caused him to shake even when he was aware that they were only figments of his imagination and guilt.

It was his day-off and he had originally planned to sleep in or train but instead was asked to accompany you during your trip to the town. Though it was far from what he wanted his plan for the day to be, he didn't complain.

Once he exited his room and made his way to the outside of the Headquarters he started to look for you. His hands were shoved in his pockets and his eyes occasionally scanned the environment as he walked. "Good morning, Bert! Did you sleep well?" he heard your voice from behind and stopped in his tracks to turn around and face you.

"I would say that it's been... a bit more satisfactory than the past few nights." he replied quietly. You let out a hum as you placed your hand on his back leading him to  the streets.

"That's okay! Maybe we'll find something in the market that could help with that, it's not good to miss sleep." you suggest to which he nods in agreement. You smile at this, "Even if you don't find anything, it's alright as long as you got to enjoy the day."

You were right, though. He did enjoy the day as he got to be free and focus on your company. You were like medicine to him, suddenly curing all of his illnesses and making him feel 100% again. He was falling for you badly and he knew it.

Tugging on Bertholdt's arm you led him to a nearby bakery, purchasing a muffin and taking a bite. The moment the sweet taste hit your tongue you felt euphoria and couldn't resist the smile that crept up on your face. "Holy shit this is amazing! Bert, you gotta try some!" you brought up the half eaten muffin to the man's mouth.

"Okay okay, I'll have a bite." he chuckled lightly, opening his mouth and having a bite of the baked good. He hummed in agreement with a nod, "That is really good. Do you wanna buy some for the rest?"