tabby cat | zeke jaeger

[ modern reincarnation au ]

You were quite rudely waken up from your afternoon nap when you felt something fluffy poking your face. Opening your eyes you squinted to see the thing that was pawing at your face and you were greeted with a chubby orange cat sitting on your stomach and a paw on your face. It took you a moment to remember that you didn't own any pets, and not a cat at that. You assumed that it was a stray that somehow got into your room but you lived on the third floor of your building, was it a neighour's cat? In the 5 years you've lived at your apartment not once have you seen or heard a cat from any of your neighbours nearby, and to your knowledge the apartment next to yours was empty.

"Hey bud, did you wander in here? Where'd you come from?" sitting up you picked up the cat and plopped him on the ground next to you, the fluffy intruder then continued to follow you around as you washed your face and got a glass of water to drink. You were now on your phone leant up on the kitchen counter and your new found friend sitting on the ground next to you, you were currently looking through the building's group seeing if anyone posted for a missing cat but to no avail.

Bending down you checked the cat for a nametag on his collar and all you had was a name, "Tom the cat, how cute. Well, Tom, how about we head out for a second and let's find your owner?" petting him gently he rubbed his nose on your hand with a soft meow. This brought a smile on your face seeing how much he warmed up to you in the short time he's been with you. Before you could even say another word you heard a knock on your door, "Hm? I don't usually have people come knocking and my friends don't have plans of coming over today."

As you walked to the door Tom followed behind meowing and rubbing his face on your leg, you reached for the doorknob opening the door showing a tall man with shaggy platinum hair, a short beard and blue eyes. Upon taking a good look of the mystery stranger you realised that this was the same man you had weird dreams about. By weird dreams it was more of dreams about your 'past life' that weirded you out the first time it happened but as time went on you got used to them.

"Stupid monkey." was all you uttered before slamming the door on him, leaving him shocked. "Wait please let me explain! I'm looking for my cat!" he pleaded, knocking on the door again. Picking up Tom from the ground you opened the door once again with his cat in your arms, you had a glare that almost pierced through his soul causing him to visibly shudder.

Petting Tom you coo'ed at him, "This is your owner, bud? Who would've expected a cute chubby kitty like you belonged to a back-stabbing two-faced asshole."

Zeke sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Seems like you remember too, and you still won't let it go."

"Yeah I'm not 'letting go' of the fact that you got me killed in my past life because you ratted me out. I trusted you and look where that got me, a bullet in the head."

"Look, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean for it to go that far and I never knew that you lived here or remembered anything! Now can I please have Tom back so I can get out of your hair?" he reached for Tom, you willingly handed him to the blond with a huff. Looking at Tom you smiled, "If ever your owner is annoying you, feel free to come over to my place again bud. I'll make sure to have treats for you, 'kay?"

With that interaction over you flopped on your bed with your phone in hand looking through your contacts for someone to call. The phone only rang for a few seconds before someone picked up, "Nanaba! Hey, are you guys free to come over with drinks?"

~~

After a few hours your group of friends eventually showed up with a case of beer and bottles of other alcoholic drinks, you already ordered food that arrived beforehand and had cleaned up the place. "Hey-o! Sorry for the short notice but I wanted to destress."