𝖿𝗅𝗈𝗐𝖾𝗋𝗌 | 𝗆𝗂𝗄𝖾 𝗓𝖺𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗋𝗂𝖺𝗌

It all started with a bouquet of lilies, one bouquet that sat on top of each gravestone of the fallen soldiers. Every week, a fresh bouquet would be placed early in the morning. No one knew where the flowers were coming from or who was placing it down.

Most assumed it was family members of the fallen soldiers but as they checked each family, there were some soldiers with no family left. Some assumed it was a supernatural thing that couldn't be explained.

When in reality, it was quite simple to decipher. You owned a flower shop in Wall Rose, it was a small and simple shop that had a big garden behind it where you grew flowers while some were shipped to you with your own home at the second floor. You started the tradition of leaving flowers for all the deceased soldiers ever since your father died when you were little, it was your way of saying thank you to the Survey Corps for their service and sacrifice.

This always intrigued Mike, how someone spent time to do a gesture like that. Where do they even get these flowers? Was one of the main questions he wanted to ask this mysterious person.

Bundling up the last bouquet of lilies, you place it neatly in a crate holding the rest of it. There were far too many flowers for you to carry by yourself so you decided to place it in a crate instead, then reusing the crate for other deliveries. You look at the clock, 4:30. It was still very early in the morning and you would be able to make it back by 6:00 giving you time to clean up before opening your shop.

Removing your white apron that held the pollen from the flowers, you glanced down at your simple black dress to make sure there were no petals or leaves hiding between the ruffles. You always wore a black dress when you visited and changed into your usual wear when you got back. As you opened your shop door, you reached for the key to lock it while holding the crate in your arms.

As you made your way to the cemetery for the soldiers, some of the Survey Corps members were there which was unknown to you. The Squad Leaders and some cadets were walking around and kneeling down on some of the graves probably to talk to the person buried under. Mike on the other hand was standing under a tree while quietly thinking, Would this mysterious person be here today? Will there be yet another batch of lilies?

As he pondered, he didn't notice you making your way to the first row of graves. You placed the fresh flowers and got the withered ones, replacing its spot in the crate. It was a surprise that you were unnoticed despite carrying the wooden crate.

The Survey Corps soon gathered by the entrance of the cemetery, ready to take their leave while Mike remained for a while to see if anyone else was there. To his surprise, there he spotted you quietly walking around and placing the flowers. Are my eyes deceiving me? Maybe she's just a relative.. but she's placing flowers on the gravestone of a soldier with no known family members- wait she's placing it on everyone's graves.

He couldn't believe it, he wanted to confirm his suspicions so he walked over to you. Hesitating for a moment, he tapped your shoulder lightly. Turning around, you gave him a small smile.

"Hello, is something wrong sir?" you asked him, holding a bouquet of lilies you were about to put down.

"Correct me if i'm wrong but you're the one they are talking about, right? You leave flowers here every week, lilies to be exact?" he asks, his bangs moving as he took deep breaths.

You gave him a small laugh, putting your hands up. "You caught me, i'm actually the daughter of one of the fallen soldiers. My father is (F/N) (L/N)."

Mike nodded, now understanding your intentions of visiting the cemetery every week. "When i first came here to give flowers to my father, i saw a lot of withered flowers. It was sad knowing that my father is remembered but the others aren't, that's why i do this. I grow these flowers myself." you sighed.

Placing the flowers in your hand down, you picked up the withered ones. "In a sense, these flowers symbolise if they're still remembered. Sometimes i think that they're up there watching and smiling whenever i do this for them, you guys sacrifice so much for us and you deserve to be acknowledged."

You picked up the crate, ready to head to the other row of gravestones behind Mike spoke up. "Would it be alright if i helped you?" he asked.

Tilting your head you looked at the other soldiers at the gate then back at him, "I wouldn't mind but won't your cadets wonder why you're taking so long?"

He shakes his head, "They won't, we all came here by horse so they can go ahead." he says as he takes the crate out of your hands.

You take the fresh bouquet and make your way to the other graves, him following you. The two of you chatted while finishing up the task, appreciating each other's company as you two told various stories. Reaching down the grab the last withered bouquet, you drop it in the crate and sigh in relief.

"Thank you for your help, i really appreciate it." you tell him, "I'm (Y/N), i never actually told you my name."

He chuckles, "Mike Zacharias, it was a pleasure helping you. I'm assuming you'll be here again next week at the same time? I want to help again."

You nod, "I'm looking forward for next week, Mike." you tell him before picking up the crate and making your way out of the cemetery. He stood there, watching your figure blend into the crowd but not before catching one lash glance at your simple black dress that stood out among the bright colours that the others wore.