chapter twenty six

Not edited.

I lay my head on his chest, covering my ears. I feel small, defenseless, and a snail hiding in its shell. I wish this were a nightmare. I hug him tight as possible.

I can't have a moment to breathe without someone trying to kill me. I'm that exhausted that I wouldn't scream for help.

The sound of their steps are getting closer.

"You seem like you've been in trouble all day." I jump almost on his lap. The man sounded concerned. I slowly turn my head to them, my heartbeat slowing, and my chest cooling down.

"Wow, don't be afraid."

I let out a stressful breath, leaving his body to sit back on the bench. I sheepishly look up at them, folding my hands on my lap. Harry next to me doesn't even shift.

"We saw what happened back there. Is this man hurting you?" The man asks with worry, the other one stares at Harry.

"No." I answer rather quickly.

"Are you sure you don't want us to call the police?"

"I'm sure." I wipe the sweat from my forehead with the sleeve of my shirt.

"Are you waiting for the cab? We can take the next one."

"No. We're not even from here. I don't know where we're going, so I'll just wait until his loopy thing goes away."

"Ah, yes, that guard overreacted."

The one who overreacted was Harry.

There's silence. The only thing I can feel besides the butterflies by Harry's confession is the cold wind messing with my bangs.

I should've stayed in the cabin and forget about the groceries. I wish I didn't leave the cabin; I rather listen to Gloria's complaints about the dusty rooms than being here in the cold night in a place I've never been with a possible murderer.

I'm so damn sure the nuns called my mother and told her about my disappearance. I need to let them know I'm okay, that I'm safe - well not likely, when Harry's asleep.

"We aren't from here either. We're from Cheshire; we're staying at hotel until next week." The other speaks. He removes his eyes from Harry to stare at me. I start feeling a bit harassed by his constant stare. "We're just working."

"Where's this hotel at?"

I can't take a train or a cab back to England. I need to fully rest and wait when Harry's conscious. He'd get mad at me for taking decisions without him and leaving Manchester when he wanted to be here for some reason.

"We're not really sure how to explain. Are you planning on staying?"

"Yeah, I could spend the night at a hotel." I'm not sure with what money I'm paying for a room, no wait, with Harry's money actually.

I scoot over a bit for them to sit down next to me; the one who decided to sit was the one who couldn't stop staring at me. I sigh a bit, scratching the back of my neck hoping he could notice that I was uncomfortable.

As we waited, Harry started waking up, but his head continued to fall back as if he was falling asleep repeatedly.

Once, he put an arm around my waist and pulled me to his chest. It was unexpected, and I couldn't help, but let my head lay on his chest. All my hatred for him started fading because in this moment, right now, I could feel his protection as his fingers caress my back. It sends shivers down my spine. I look up at his face. He had no expression. Does he even know what he's doing to me?