chapter sixty four

Arabella and the nuns are holdings hands as they pray in a small chapel at the hospital while Harry's wandering in pain through the hallways like a vagabond. Everyone who sees him, call the doctors, but he manages to escape them all and head over to surgery room – which wasn't easy to find.

He can't see what's happening since the view through the window is blocked by a white curtain, but there's a space in the corner that isn't fully covered, so he leans, pressing his nose against the glass.

Surgeons and nurses are moving as quick as ants, but everyone's crowding the patient and Harry is desperate because he wants to take a quick glance at Flo, to make sure she's okay, but he doesn't get at least a glimpse.

There's hustle going on as soon as the machine signals that the patient has died and Harry slaps the window, gasping as he sees the surgeon grabbing the electric paddles to survive the patient.

"What the hell? Fuck! This can't be happening." He hits the window. "What's going on?!" He shouts and a nurse, covers his view. "Flo, wake up!"

He backs away and starts running off until he's out of the hospital to the outside. The sun's almost up and there are not traffic yet, but he can see business men and woman walking on the sidewalks with coffee mugs or talking on the phone.

They look at Harry as if he's a crazy man, but he doesn't seem to care. He's too busy trying to unwrap the thought of Flo being dead.

"You don't get to leave me."

His body's reacting to the cold-ass weather. He looks pale, there's a grey shade under his eyes. He's walking with nothing but a delicate hospital gown, showing his naked ass to the world.

"No..."

He feels like he's dying when blood starts to leave his mouth like a drool and his head begins to throb in pain.

Awhile later, he steals money from a hobo – punching him to sleep when he begins to complain. He stops at a public phone and shuts his eyes, trying to remember Stanley's phone number. He has too much in his head, he's not thinking clearly.

"This is Stanley."

"I think I'm dying." He says, he would be glad to die now that he has nothing to fight for, but at least Stan can take away the pain. It's too much. He can't handle it anymore.

"Harry... where are you?"

"I have no idea." He turns around. There's a woman in a black coat, talking on the phone and he gently touches her shoulder. "Excuse me, ma'am. Where am I?"

The woman turns around only to gasp and drop the phone. Harry doesn't seem surprised like her, he just lets out a frustrated sigh because fuck, this can't be happening. Not now.

"Harry?" The woman's eyes widens. White puff comes out her mouth, breathing fast.

"Mum." He replies, hanging up the phone.

. . .

Another six hours pass after Flo's surgery, and she wakes up screaming, startling her mother that was asleep in bed, next to her. Arabella grabs her shoulders and meets her eyes, Flo's screams immediately die down.

"Mum..." she touches her mother's face, shaking. She tries to sit up to hug her, but her body is in pain and she groans, tears prickling in her eyes. "What happened?"

Arabella takes a while to answer, caressing her daughter's hair. "You were with Harry at a restaurant and there was an attack."

Flo remembers everything and the memories doesn't quite match with the fake story they've told her mother, but she still nods.