NOT A CHAPTER

This is not a chapter this is my history thing so just ignore!!!

Child and Woman Labor

The breaker boys, little kids who started working with coal around the ages of 6-8. These kids were payed only a few cents for their 8-12 hours of labor. They would sit on a plank for those hours and push open a little door where coal tumbled through it. It was designed as a staircase so the coal could tumble down the stairs and the kids would pick out the good coal with their hands. They weren't allowed to wear gloves, therefore their hands would end up bruised and bleeding after a day of work. All of the boys would get their fingernails torn off by the rushing coal. They would come home dirty, bleeding and in pain. They would also be hit with a broom if they were caught slacking off or not doing their jobs right. To say the least, they were more of work mules than children.

But the children werent the only ones who had it hard in labor, women did too. Women would arrive at work through a elevator and have to go through a narrow passageway that fit only one person at a time. These women were accustomed to the work, most of them were seamstresses. But one day at a clothing factory there was a fire on the middle floor. Everyone made a run for it towards the exit but it was only made for one at a time. They didn't make it in time to warn the top floors.

Women made about $400 a year while children made $250 a year.

The white city

One of the most extravagant events in history was in Jackson park. Millions and millions of shops and little stands of cloth, furs, jewelry, and etc.

Not one person could see it all. It was as if it were a whole country under a roof. On the docks was more of a caos. There were little stands of low life immigrants. As one person said "there was horrible music, and horrid scenes." But one thing is for sure that's where belly dancing was introduced to the high class or the first time.

There were fantastic things from all the way from india to Germany. The docks showed most of the low life of these immigrants which people were disgusted of.