The obelisk

Wistala was isolated and crying alone in her corner, but she had a thousand and one projects to make in the immediate future.

She wept her tears and took a deep breath.

"My little Nicholas, I believe that he who likes to wear a good shoes. There's a big difference between what seems right and what is right."

She returned to the maze and entered a secret room with magical stones in suspension, as if without gravity, and one of them projected some kind of hologram.

"I must revive the golems. Base reactivation."

Maintenance golems came out of their alcoves. They looked like decorative statues, but they looked more like robots from the 1950s.

The rubble and surfaces were cleaned and polished. The damage was repaired and the magical and electrical circuits were reactivated.

The golems, nearly 50 of them, also worked to clear the scree and accumulation of earth and rocks to open the slabs of the technical hangars.

Some golems were more than 6 meters high.

Wistala alone could provide all the mana necessary for this titanic operation.

After a few days of work, the raptors were frightened and took refuge in the port.

I watched with astonishment and fear as these monsters of stone and steel came and went.

Wistala frightened me like the witch in Kirikou, who used her totems to frighten the village.

The raptors didn't understand, but I did.

She was carrying out her plan. She was clearing out the shed... for sure!

And then a commotion broke out... The shed opened and an obelisk came out of the ground. At the end of the obelisk was a red crystal.

The obelisk overlooked the whole hill, the underground base and the harbour.

Its use was known only from Wistala and Akulathraxas.

Then, from the depths of the abyss, a hum could be heard. Like a gigantic engine or an underground turbine. The acceleration was slow and then it stabilized. And light appeared, followed by some short circuits in the harbour.

Curious, I went to see, passed by the golems who ignored me and a new corridor was illuminated. Everything was different, new, and I walked towards the noise.

It was the turbine of a geothermal power plant.

I wanted to see how it worked but the controls that should have been complex, with computers and regulators and automatons were non-existent.

It was crystals that regulated. Regulating golems.

A thousand times more practical and resilient than any electrical circuit.

In fact the use of golems was easy and convenient, much better than electricity. The only problem was, you had to be a magician too...

"Nicholas...do you like golems???? I'd like to teach you" Wistala whispered to me.

She had tears. "I'm sorry, Nicolas..., I didn't realize you were still a child and I was selfish... I'm sorry, I love you, don't abandon me..."

I turned around and jumped on Wistala's neck. We hugged each other tight for a while.

I too had tears

"I was really mad at you..." I said to Wistala...

Wistala had a spike in her heart and collapsed with grief. "Nicholas, don't abandon me. Help me! Help me!