Chapter Sixteen: Easter Heart to Hearts

The Easter holidays dawned with a beautiful sunny morning. The sun fell through the window in the dormitory and woke Alison up. She smiled and sat up in bed. They hadn’t seen the sun in quite some time and it was a nice surprise. She climbed out of her bed and dressed quietly. Just as she reached the door Ginny sat up, “Don’t get too excited,” she said in a sleepy voice, “Angelina wants and all day practice remember?”

Alison let out a long whine and flung herself back onto her bed, “It’s like she doesn’t want us to enjoy ourselves!” she said.

Ginny laughed and climbed out of bed, “I don’t think that’s her intention.” She said lightly before getting dressed herself.

They went down to breakfast together where Angelina pulled them to the table next to her. The rest of the team, minus Ron, was sitting around her.

“Alright guys, we’ve got this in the bag. I think we can pull this off.” She said in a rather chipper voice. Alison turned to Ginny whose face was as confused as Alison felt. Last practice Angelina stood in the locker room banging her head against the wall muttering ‘it’s hopeless.’

“Angelina, you really think we can?” Kirke asked in his quiet voice. Alison resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

“Yes Kirke, we can. But only if you and Slopper can keep your heads in the game.” She said and turned back to the pile of parchment in front of her, “As soon as Ron comes down and eats we’ll head out to the pitch. I have it booked all day so we’ll get a good practice in.” Alison groaned, along with the rest of the team. 

The minute Ron finished his breakfast Angelina stood from her seat, “Alright team, let’s get to work!” she said and turned leading her complaining team from the Great Hall and out to the Grounds. Alison passed George on her way out. She gave him an apologetic smile and mouthed ‘all day practice’ before Ginny grabbed her arm and forced her to keep walking out to the Quidditch pitch.

When Angelina said all day she really meant it. She kept them out there until it was so dark they could no longer see. She led them off the pitch, tired, hungry, and sore, talking away happily. Alison strayed to the back of the group where Ron was walking alone.

“Hey Ron.” She said in a tired voice. Ron grunted in response. They walked along in silence for a few moments before Ron spoke. “I’m rubbish.” he said running his hands through his hair, “I can’t do anything right! I’m horrible and all I want is to resign!” Alison looked over at him. She was lost for words, comforting others was something she had never been good at. She never knew what to say.

“I don’t understand why Angelina wouldn’t let me resign. And now I‘m going to lose us the house cup and everyone will hate me. Then she’ll never want me.” He let out a sigh. Alison continued to look at him. She really wished she knew what to say but she was just horrible with words, especially when they concerned feelings.

“I don’t think you’re that bad.” She said in a quiet voice. It was all she could think of to say.

“You have to say that,” Ron said, “you’re practically my sister.”

Alison held in a laugh, “No offense Ron, but I don’t think any of your siblings would feel required to say that to you.” Ron grunted in agreement before stalking off to sit with Harry and Hermione. Alison shook her head at him and plopped down between Ginny and Colin. Colin wrinkled his nose, “You two smell like dirt.” He said moving his book over so Alison could eat. She stuck her tongue out at him.

“You try practicing Quidditch all day, and then tell me how you smell.” Alison said before shoving a mouthful of mashed potatoes into her mouth. After a few minutes of Alison and Ginny shoving food down their throats Colin got up to leave. “I think I’ll study where it’s quiet.” He said.