Chapter Eight: Officially a Slugclub Member

Alison took the stairs down to the dungeons two at a time, a wide grin still on her face. On the Nimbus 2000 she had flown better than she ever had, except for that time she had tried out Harry’s Firebolt of course. She skidded to a stop outside of Snape’s office and rapped on the door twice. There were sounds of movement from within and then the door opened to reveal Snape. His face had been annoyed but when he caught sight of Alison his expression lessened into his normal bored look.

Alison gave a soft smile and spoke, “May I come in?” she asked hopefully. Snape only stepped aside and Alison walked in past him. He shut the door and walked around sitting behind his desk, “Do you need something?” he asked looking at her.

Alison smiled wide, “I just wanted to thank you.” She said watching his expression carefully. He was a very hard man to read. Perhaps that is where she got it from. “The broom was wonderful! Best I’ve ever flown!” she continued on still watching him.

Snape gave her a look that was as close to pleased as Alison thought he had ever been. “I’m glad you liked your gift.” He said in a careful voice. Alison flashed another grin and sat in the chair across from him with a sigh.

“Though, I can’t say I hope you win.” Alison looked up at Snape to see a ghost of a smile on his face. He was trying to be funny. Alison let out a soft laugh.

“No promises.” She said.

Snape looked at her carefully for a moment, “There is no denying you. You are just like your mother.” For once he said this without a hint of sadness. If anything he sounded pleased. Alison’s grin widened more.

“Have you eaten?” Snape asked her. Alison shook her head, “Head to dinner then.” Alison nodded her head and stood to leave. She stopped at the door and turned around, “Thank you again, father.” She said, surprising herself as the words left her mouth. This time Snape did smile. It was an odd thing to see on his face, which was usually grim and sullen.

“You’re welcome Alison.” He replied and then Alison turned to leave and head to the Great Hall.

She was stopped in the doorway of the Great Hall by Professor Slughorn.

“Alison! Glad I caught you!” he said with a wide grin. Alison gave him a smile back, “I was hoping I’d find you, I just spoke to your friend Miss Weasley. I’m having a little get together in my office tonight. Bit of a light snack, Miss Weasley will be there, as well as Miss Granger. Care to join us?” he asked a hopeful expression on his face. Alison shrugged her shoulders; “Why not?” she said knowing Ginny would kill her if she was left alone at this get together.

“Wonderful! See you at half past eight!” Professor Slughorn said and waddled off into the Great Hall.  

Alison, Ginny, and Hermione left the Gryffindor Common Room at quarter after eight. Alison had felt Ron’s cold stare on her back as they had left. Apparently he was upset that he hadn’t been invited. At least that was what Hermione told them as they walked to Slughorn’s office. When they had reached their destination Hermione knocked on the wooden door. Before she had finished knocking the door had been thrown open by Professor Slughorn, who was wearing a wide grin.

“Come in! Come in!” he boomed and stepped aside to let the three girls pass. They walked in and took the three remaining seats around a large table in the middle of the room. Even though they had all just eaten dinner the table was piled with food.

Professor Slughorn shut the door and took his seat in a plush high backed chair beginning to snack on lemon drops.

“Well, now that everyone is here, feel free to eat!” he said. Alison looked around the table at the other people who were sitting with them, Cormac McLaggen, Blaise Zabini, Theodore Nott, and a few other students that Alison recognized, but didn’t know their names. A majority of them had taken food off of the table and began eating. Alison shrugged, shot Ginny a questioning look and grabbed a piece of apple tart, one of her favorite desserts.