Chapter Nine: Slugclub and Quidditch

Alison heard about Katie Bell the next morning at breakfast. Kaylynn had come running down the Gryffindor table. She loved to gossip with all of her heart. She squeezed onto the bench between Alison and Ginny and began talking at a rapid pace, “So this morning, I was in the common room right? With Mary? And Neville came down the stairs talking to Dean who said that Katie Bell had gotten cursed yesterday in Hogsmead! Can you believe it? And get this, she was sent to St. Mungo’s! I guess she isn’t doing well at all.”

Alison had almost spit her pumpkin juice out, “WHAT?” she had said turning to look Kaylynn full on. Kaylynn smiled wide and nodded her head, “I know. Scary right?”

Alison opened her mouth to speak again but Kaylynn waved goodbye and stood up skipping farther down the table. Alison shut her mouth again and turned to Ginny, but she was no longer there. Alison frowned and looked to find her sitting with Dean, smiling. Alison sighed and went back to her breakfast. She was soon interrupted again by Hermione who took Ginny’s empty seat.

“Hello Alison.” Hermione said cheerfully and held out a small scroll tied with a purple ribbon. Alison groaned inwardly and took the scroll, “What are the chances of Quidditch practice?” she asked as she read the invitation.

“Nonexistent, Harry has an appointment.” Hermione said with a soft smile, “Finally I won’t be alone.” Alison groaned again and shoved the invitation into her bag, “Please tell me Ginny has to go as well?” Hermione smiled once more and nodded her head.

***

“Now, now, gather round!” Slughorn called out into his large office. It was full of the various students he had chosen for his Slugclub. Alison was one of them. She was sitting in the corner with Ginny and Hermione. It was only reluctantly that she stood up and followed the rest of the students to the middle of the room.

“I’ve got a treat for you!” Slughorn said happily patting his large belly. He gave another wide grin and turned towards the door. There was a soft knock and Slughorn pulled it open, beaming wide and greeting the new comer with enthusiasm. His large rotund frame blocked their so called treat from view. Alison stood up on her tippy toes in hopes of seeing over the crowd around her. However her efforts were unneeded. Slughorn turned around and pulled the new comer in front of himself, practically shoving her into the middle of students.

It took only a moment for Alison to recognize who she was. She was tall and dark skinned, her dark hair cropped short falling to her chin. She was plastered on Ginny’s wall in the burrow. Standing before Alison was none other than Gwenog Jones; beside Alison, Ginny let out a soft gasp.

“Yes, this is none other than Gwenog Jones!” Slughorn said happily slapping her on the shoulder. Gwenog gave a tight smile as Slughorn continued, “Go on, tell them all about your success!” he said happily and waddled over to his high backed chair.

Once Slughorn was sitting Gwenog gave another tight smile and began speaking. She droned on about her successes and in Alison’s opinion she was a little bit thick, and quite conceited. However, she did stand in line with Ginny to get her autograph; it was still pretty neat to meet someone who played on a professional Quidditch team.    

A few hours later Alison, Hermione, and Ginny made their way back to the Gryffindor common room.

“See, that wasn’t so bad.” Hermione said as they reached the Fat Lady. Ginny gave her the password and they climbed inside.

“It was alright.” Alison admitted. Honestly she could live without going to another party.

“The Christmas party should be fun!” Ginny said happily as they plopped down on an empty couch. A majority of people had already turned into bed.