Chapter one: When It All Changes

October 31, 1981

It was dark and rainy out; Albus Dumbledore, a tall, peculiar man, was walking briskly up the sidewalk of a street in Little Whinging. In his arms was a bundle; slightly smaller than a loaf of bread. He approached an old orphanage. It wasn’t perhaps the nicest, but it would do. Dumbledore set the bundle on the door step, revealing the small angelic face surrounded by dark red curls.

Dumbledore smiled down at the infant and tucked a note into her bundle. His blue eyes twinkled when the baby opened her own bright green ones. “Good luck, Alison Lily.” he said as he rang the door bell and turned on the spot, disappearing. Alison closed her eyes once more.

A few moments later, a young lady with long brown hair opened the door shaking her head at whoever was calling at this hour of the night. However, she found that no one was there. She was about to shut the door when she happened to look down and notice the small infant tucked in her bundle.

The young lady bent down and picked up the baby, removing the note from her bundle. She opened it, and in thin slanted writing was a plea to care for the small child. She was named Alison Lily and had been born on September fourth; she was only a few months old. She smiled down at the now sleeping child and went into the orphanage, closing the door behind her.

*********************************************************************

Chapter one: When It All Changes

Alison stood in the middle of her room. The walls were the same color as the rest of the orphanage, white, and she hated them. They were far to plain for her. On her bed lay her fat grey cat May-Bell, she mewed softly. In her hands was a letter from her best friend, Colin Creevey. He was telling her all about his trip to America. Retelling the silly customs the Americans had. Alison laughed quietly at Colin’s excitement and set the letter on her bed. Across from her bed was another, occupied by a girl two years younger than Alison. She had long unruly red curls, much like Alison’s own. They had shared a room for quite a few years now.

Quickly, Alison answered Colin’s letter, commenting on his discoveries and adding in bits of her own boring summer. She then tied it to the owl’s leg and sent it on its way just as her roommate began to wake. What Alison hated most about sharing a room was that she had to hide who she was. Alison was a witch, and very proud to be so. She moved away from the window greeting her now fully awakened roommate, “Morning, Kelly.” She mumbled as she pulled jeans and a t-shirt out of her small dresser. Kelly began to ramble about her dream, in the distance the breakfast bell rang.

Kelly rushed out of the room calling for Alison to hurry. If they were late to a meal, they had to write lines. If they did anything wrong, they had to write lines. Alison sighed and began towards the dining hall. She had been home from Hogwarts for a fortnight, and she was ready to go back.

The dining hall was all ready full of children ranging from five to sixteen years of age. Alison took her seat just as the head, Mrs. Parker entered the room. She shot a knowing glare at Alison before sitting down at the head of the table. Alison gave her a smile and began to eat her breakfast. When they were dismissed to do chores Alison snuck out to meet with Harry.

Every day they met at the playground halfway between the orphanage and Harry’s Aunt and Uncle’s house. Usually Harry was there before her, but today he was not. Alison sunk down onto a swing and waited patiently. An hour later he still hadn’t shown. Alison stood, puzzled and headed back home. Where was Harry? If he hadn’t been able to make it because of them he would have sent Hedwig.

Back in her room an owl was sitting on her bed a newspaper clutched in its beak. Alison took the paper and paid. Sitting down she read the front page, nothing. She flipped it open, still nothing. She sighed and threw the paper from herself. Voldemort had been back for almost a month and not one mention has been made in the paper. All they do is insult Harry and Dumbledore. May-Bell jumped up into her lap, meowing at her. Alison gently pet her head. “May-Bell, this is so unlike Harry.”