Part Two-Chapter one: Life at the Burrow

Chapter one: Life at the Burrow

Life at the Burrow was still something Alison was getting used to. She had only been a part of the Weasley family for two weeks. Mrs. Weasley had insisted on giving her new room a makeover, so Alison was camping out on Ginny’s floor. And Ginny’s floor is exactly where she was, her long red curls fanned out behind her head and her green eyes shut against the sun, when Ginny came bounding into the room on a hot afternoon.

Ginny pounced onto Alison with a small ‘oaf’ before beginning to chat away rapidly, “Ali! You’ll never believe what I just got! Look! Look!” she began to wave what Alison assumed was an envelope, she really couldn’t see. 

Alison tried to sit up underneath the weight of her best friend but couldn’t, “Gin!” she called to her; “I can’t see what you’re showing me. Sit.” She said pointedly. Ginny frowned sheepishly and stood up plopping onto her own bed.

“It’s a letter!”

Alison resisted the urge to roll her eyes, “I can see that.” Ginny pouted at her, “You’re grumpy when you don’t see George.”

Alison’s face flushed red, “I am not!” She said indigently sitting bolt upright to glare at Ginny.

“Yes you are.” Ginny said but kept going before Alison could protest, “So I got a letter! From Dean, finally.”

Alison looked at Ginny expecting more to the story.

“That’s it.” Ginny said anticlimactically.

“I fail to see the exciting point to this….” Alison trailed off.

Ginny huffed at her, “I haven’t heard from Dean in forever Ali! Forever!”

Alison held her hands up in defeat, “Alright, I get it now.”

“Oh and mum wants to see you in the kitchen.” Ginny added before ripping open the envelope. Alison really did roll her eyes this time before hauling herself to her feet and down to the kitchen.

Mrs. Weasley was at the sink, setting the lunch dishes to washing themselves.

“There you are dear!” she said when Alison came into view, “I was beginning to wonder if Ginny was ever going to send you down! I have something to show you, I think you’re going to love it! Follow me.” Alison smiled softly and followed Mrs. Weasley back up the stairs. They went past Ginny’s room and onto the next landing. They passed by the door to what once was Percy’s room and the Twin’s room and onto the next landing. There was one door here and Mrs. Weasley stopped in front of it.

“I asked Bill and Charlie if they minded,” she started looking back at Alison with a soft smile, “They said they were happy to share. I really hope you like it.” Mrs. Weasley finished opening the door and stepped back. Alison smiled at her before stepping into the room.

She gasped in surprise and looked around at what was now hers. The walls were painted a soft eggshell color, and the furniture was all the same color of dark wood. There was a bed, nightstand, vanity table, and desk as well as a small closet. They bed was decorated in a beautiful purple patchwork quilt that Mrs. Weasley must have made. Alison turned back to her and smiled wide, “I love it!” she said and hugged Mrs. Weasley tight, “You’ve been much too good to me Mrs. Weasley.” Alison said softly. Mrs. Weasley pulled away to look at her.

“Deary, how many times must I tell you, call me Mum, or at least Molly. Really, you’re my child now Alison.” Alison smiled softly, glad that she had a family, much larger than she had ever imagined.

“Thank you Molly.” She said softly and turned around in a circle looking at the room again. She noticed the walls were covered with her posters and pictures that Molly must have taken from her trunk.