Chapter Sixteen: Break Ups Are In The Air Tonight

Upon their return from the Easter holidays the Professors piled, if possible, more homework on them. It was becoming increasingly harder to do anything but study. Now at the beginning of every class O.W.L.s were mentioned, repeatedly, and they were reminded how much studying they needed to do.

The week after holidays Alison, Ginny, and Colin returned to the common room to find the tables covered in pamphlets.

“What are these for?” Ginny asked picking up one labeled Magical Healing.

“Career planning.” Colin supplied looking at the notice board, “We’ve all got an appointment with Professor McGonagall to plan our classes for next year, and our career.” He said reading off of the notice that was in front of them, “A week from today.” He said and sat down at the table with a few other fifth years and picked up a pamphlet.

“Great,” Ginny said rolling her eyes, “Now I have to decide what I’m doing with the rest of my life.”

Alison chuckled, “Just tell her you’re going to be a Quidditch player. Simple.” Alison picked up a pamphlet for the Ministry of Magic and began to flip through it.

“I don’t think she’ll accept that.” Ginny said flipping through a pamphlet for Aurors.

Alison had been avoiding Snape since they had returned. She stopped going for lunch on Sundays, and sped out of Defense so fast that Ginny couldn’t even catch up with her. Alison didn’t want to talk to a man who had betrayed her to the enemy. She didn’t want to talk to a man who was the enemy. So she avoided him and pushed her hurt feelings away throwing herself into Quidditch and studying with a new effort she didn’t know she was capable of.

The next week Alison went to meet McGonagall after her Monday classes had ended. She knocked on her office door and waited nervously for her to answer.

“Come in.” McGonagall called. Alison pushed the door open and walked in.

“Have a seat.” McGonagall said as she shuffled through a pile of papers. Alison sat down in the chair just as McGonagall pulled out a folder with Alison’s name on it.

“Now, this should be simple and quick.” McGonagall said looking up at Alison with a smile, “You’ve got good marks across the board, so I wouldn’t worry about anything holding you back.” Alison smiled proudly.

“Now, tell me what you’re planning on doing after Hogwarts.” McGonagall smiled again and folded her hands looking at Alison across her desk.

“Well,” Alison began, “I want to work in the ministry, with the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.”

McGonagall smiled, “That’s a great idea!” she said and began writing on a piece of parchment, “Do you know what kind of work you want to do?”

Alison smiled wide, “I think field work.” She said happily, “For population and researching.”

McGonagall began writing again, “So for next year you’re going to need Care of Magical Creatures, no? And I think that Potions would be a good option, as well as Charms, Herbology and Transfiguration. Now Professor Dumbledore has requested you continue with Divination, for obvious reasons or course.”

Alison nodded her head in agreement.

“So you’ll need to score at least an exceeding expectations in everything, and if you wish to continue defense against the dark arts, which might be a good idea, a recommendation to everyone that I’m giving, you’ll need an outstanding.”