Chapter Twenty: The Beginning of the End

Alison was released from the Hospital wing the day before the funeral. Lessons had been suspended, and the exams postponed. Many of the students had been rushed away home, though just as many had stayed to say goodbye. Alison walked slowly towards the Gryffindor Tower. She was still rather sore, not completely healed, but tired of lying beside Bill.

When she reached the common room it was almost empty, the only people there were Ginny, Colin, Hermione, Harry and Ron. Alison walked over to them and lowered herself into an armchair carefully.

Nobody spoke. Nobody had said much of anything the last few days. They had all come to visit her every day, but they only chatted for a little while before falling into silence. There was an odd feeling hanging over the school. A large part of it had been taken away, and his absence was noticeable, even sitting in the common room.

“It’s odd.” Ron said suddenly to them all. “It feels odd.” He said. Alison nodded her head in agreement. It did indeed.

Alison didn’t leave the common room that day, not even for meals. She didn’t want to see his empty seat at the high table. The group of them remained in the common room, they watched from the window as a familiar large powder blue carriage landed by the forest. Later that evening everyone went up to visit Bill. Alison stayed behind with Colin.

“How you feeling?” he asked her sitting in the chair beside her.

Alison shrugged, “I’ve honestly been better.” She said in a low voice.

“Does it hurt still?” Colin had slept through a majority of the battle. Ginny had filled him in on everything when she had returned to the common room that night.

“Kind of.” Alison said and shrugged again. She lifted her thin shirt to look at the white bandages still wrapped around her midsection. Colin flinched away from them; blood and flesh weren’t his favorite things in the world.

“Cover that up.” He said closing his eyes. Alison chuckled, and it didn’t feel forced.

“Baby.” She muttered pulling her shirt back down.

Ginny and the others returned and joined them beside the open window. They seemed to be in an all right mood. And Alison was feeling a bit better.

“Anyone else we know die?” Ron asked as if he was talking about the weather. Hermione looked over the Prophet at him.

“No, but they’re still looking for Snape,” Alison flinched at the sound of his name.

“They won’t find him.” Harry said angrily.

Ginny stood up, covering up a yawn, “Well, I’m going to bed. I haven’t been sleeping well since….well, I could do with some sleep.” She kissed Harry and turned to Alison, “Coming?” she asked.

Alison nodded and stood up slowly. Ginny held out her arm for Alison to use as support and together they made their way up to bed for the night. Ginny helped Alison onto her bed and then sat on her own. Samantha was already asleep. Mary and Kaylynn had been rushed home the day after Dumbledore had died.

“I’m glad you made it.” Ginny said softly looking at Alison, “I don’t know if I’d be able to survive without you.” She said honestly.

Alison smiled, “I don’t think I’d make it without you either.” she said softly.

The next morning they both rose early to pack. They’d be going home on the Hogwarts Express an hour after the funeral. Once packed Alison began the long walk down to the Great Hall, Ginny was on one side and Harry on the other. Alison held onto them as they walked down the marble staircase and into the Great Hall.