Chapter Two: Midnight Conversation

“What time do you think Harry will get here?” Hermione asked for what seemed like the hundredth time. Alison stared at her from her perch on Ginny’s floor. “Maybe sometime after we go to bed.” She said a little hostile.

Ron let out a rather loud snore. He had fallen asleep on Hermione’s bed about an hour ago. Alison had lain down on the floor in hopes of following his lead, but Hermione and Ginny kept talking.

“Aren’t you excited to see him?” Ginny asked exasperated. “He’s like a brother to you!” she threw her arms up in the air.

Alison rolled her head over to look at Ginny, “So’s he.” She said pointing to Ron, “And I could go without seeing him.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. Even in the dark Alison knew she was doing it.

“Show some more emotion Ali.” Hermione said lightly. Alison just shrugged. Ron let out another snore and Alison smacked his foot. He woke with a start and sat straight up. When he realized nothing was going on he grumbled and stood up. “I’m going to bed.” he muttered and stumbled sleepily out of the room. Alison peered at the clock.

“Ginny, it’s twelve o’clock! Can I please go to bed?!” Alison pleaded.

Ginny shook her head, “Spill. What’s got your panties in a twist?” Ginny asked.

Alison shrugged, “I’m tired?” she tried. She hadn’t had the heart to tell anyone but George about Voldemort, or that she was being hunted for her mind.

“Nice try.” Hermione said from her bed. She had reclaimed it the moment Ron had left.

“Really. That’s all.” Alison said putting on a better façade. She knew if she played well enough they would give up. Only Colin ever pushed her to talk.

Ginny narrowed her eyes in the dark, “If you say so.” She said falling back against her pillows. Alison let her eyes slide closed. She debated staying here on the floor for the night. She almost did but the wooden floor was uncomfortable. She stood up slowly and crept to the door. Hermione had already fallen asleep.

Alison eased the door open and stepped onto the landing.

“I don’t believe you.” Ginny said in the darkness. Alison couldn’t see her face, but she knew that this wouldn’t be the last time she’d be asked. Ginny was starting to get relentless.

Not answering Alison shut the door and crept up the stairs. She wasn’t even to the top of the flight when she heard Molly coming up the stairs. She was talking to someone; Alison assumed it was Mr. Weasley. She started up the steps again towards her room.

“Dear, what are you still doing up?” Molly asked. Alison spun around ready to feed an excuse when she caught sight of the second party. She stopped, her mouth hanging open. There was a disheveled black capped head standing behind Molly. Slowly she closed her mouth and smiled. Though she had played cool, she had been really excited to see Harry.

“Dear?” Molly prompted. Alison shook herself and turned to answer, “I was going to the bathroom.” She said lamely.

“Well off to bed, it’s late.” Molly said and walked past Alison up the stairs. Harry followed after her but mouthed to Alison as he passed, ‘meet me in ten.’ Alison nodded and continued up after them to her room. She pushed open the door and smiled at the sight of her very own room. Alison had never had her own room. And she had never expected to get one, even when she was told that she would be living with the Weasleys she had assumed she would be sharing.

The last fortnight had been nearly unbearable for Alison. Between worrying about Harry, the twins, and herself she was running on fumes most of the time. The only time she felt even somewhat relived was when George came home. But knowing that Harry was just one floor below her lifted all of the stress off of her shoulders. She knew that he at least, in one way or another, would understand what she was going through.