Chapter Four: Weasleys' Wizards Wheezes

Chapter Four: Weasleys’ Wizards Wheezes

Saturday morning dawned gloomy and grey. Alison hauled herself out of bed and dressed in her favorite jeans and her jumper from Molly. However she only made it to Ginny’s door before she was pulled back up to her room on the third landing.

“You cannot wear that.” Ginny protested as she threw open Alison’s closet.

“Why not Gin?” Alison asked in a whiny voice as she threw herself onto her unmade bed.

“Because you’re seeing George today!” Ginny said throwing Alison a look like she was stupid.

“Ginny, why does it matter? He’s not going to break up with me because I wear a jumper and holey jeans!” Alison protested throwing a pillow at her.

“Maybe he will!” Ginny threw the pillow back along with a tight fitted t-shirt.

“Then he’s a horrible boyfriend to begin with! And I am not wearing this.” Alison said sitting up and throwing the t-shirt back to Ginny, “Your parents are going.”

Ginny groaned and went back to searching in the closet, “You’re unbelievable.” She muttered.

“I heard that.” Alison said lying back down.

“GIRLS!” Molly called up the stairs.

“COMING MUM!” Ginny called back and threw Alison a more appropriate pink t-shirt, “Put that on.”

Alison rolled her eyes and quickly changed before following Ginny downstairs grabbing her money bag as she went. When Ginny wasn’t looking she pulled the jumper back on over her head.

“Hurry! Hurry!” Molly said as they made it into the living room. “I want to get this done and get home.” She said and ushered them out into the front garden. There was a sleek ministry car waiting for them, everyone else was already packed into it. Alison and Ginny climbed into the back seat. To Alison’s surprise the backseat was rather roomy considering she was sharing it with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny.

They rode in silence to the Leaky Cauldron where Alison was pleased to see Hagrid awaiting them. Harry had told her he was worried that they’d have to shop with a whole hoard of Aurors. They all climbed out of the car and were promptly picked up into a bone crushing hug by Hagrid.

Molly shook her head softly and ushered them all inside of the Leaky Cauldron. Alison stared around at the, for the first time ever, empty bar. Tom looked up hopefully at them but Molly told him out right they wouldn’t be staying for a drink. She continued to push them through to the back room and then out onto the streets of Diagon Alley.

Alison stopped dead in her tracks. Diagon Alley was nothing like it used to be. There were no fancy, colorful building fronts. All the windows were covered with large purple ministry flyers. Any shoppers that did venture onto the street walked quickly in small groups. The sides of the streets were littered with unkempt, dirty wizards trying to sell various protection items. These were the people that Mr. Weasley had begun to deal with at work.

One particularly smelly man approached him, trying to sell an amulet for Ginny. Molly had pushed her past and kept walking quickly. She looked down at the lists she had as she walked, “I think we should go to Madame Malkin’s first, Hermione wanted new robes, and Ron needs some as well—“

Mr. Weasley cut her off, “Dear, it doesn’t make sense for us all to go to Madame Malkin’s let those three go with Hagrid, and we’ll get everyone’s school books.”

“And new potions stuff.” Alison chimed in. She was running low on some things.

Molly looked around at them all worriedly before giving in with a sigh, “Alright then, you three go with Hagrid.” She said and turned taking both Alison and Ginny’s hands. She rushed them off towards Flourish and Blotts. Alison had to keep her eyes on the ground so not to trip while she kept up with Molly. When they reached the book store Molly let go of their hands and ushered them inside the building.