Chapter Eighteen: And the war begins

The next day Madame Pomfrey sent Professor McGonagall with Professor Sprout to St. Mungo’s. Alison was half asleep when the two women left, but she could have sworn she heard Madame Pomfrey request that Professor Sprout return with a bottle of Skele-gro.

When Alison finally opened her eyes for the day the sun was high in the sky. Madame Pomfrey came bustling over like she did every morning. She helped Alison eat something and then sat her up a little on her pillows. Alison knew today was the last day of tests and she was expecting everyone to come and visit in the afternoon like they had promised.

The day passed by agonizingly slow. Madame Pomfrey changed her bandages and then handed Alison a light book to read. Glad to have something to do she read the book late into the night. She fell asleep with the book still open in her good hand.

Alison was awoken in the wee hours of the morning by the piercing lights of the hospital wing. She pushed herself up painfully to see what was going on. Had Umbridge attacked another teacher? No, Ginny came limping up the hospital wing, leaning heavily on Luna Lovegood. They were shortly followed by Hermione, who had a large bruise across her cheek bone and several cuts. She was being carried by Kingsley Shacklebolt.  Neville, who looked no better, followed after him. He was carrying Ron who was unconscious and covered in nasty red marks.

Madame Pomfrey lowed Ron onto an empty bed and instructed Ginny to sit. Luna brought her over to the bed next to Alison’s. Hermione was lowered into a bed beside Ron’s.

“Hello, Ali.” She said in her dreamy voice. She too was covered in a few bruises and cuts. Alison turned her gaze to Ginny who was gingerly putting her leg up onto the bed.

“I broke my ankle.” She said answering Alison’s unspoken question.

“What in the world did you lot do?!” Alison asked.

Madame Pomfrey looked over at her, “I myself was wondering the same thing.”

“We went after Sirius Black.” Neville said in a quiet voice, “Harry had saw Voldemort torturing him. In the Ministry. We went after him, and he wasn’t there. There were Deatheaters instead. They wanted the prophecy.” Neville sat down, it seemed he was unable to finish, so Luna did.

“They tried to take it from us, so we ran. And eventually some people showed up—“

“The Order.”Ginny supplied.

Luna went on, “They fought. And Harry chased after Bellatrix. She, she killed Sirius.”

Alison felt this. No wonder they all looked to stricken. Alison barley knew him, but she knew what he meant to Harry. Luna pushed on.

“Dumbledore came, and he went after Harry. He must have fought with him. By the time we reached them the Atrium was in ruins, and most of the Ministry was there. They looked like they had seen a ghost. I guess that’s how you would look if you saw him.” Luna stopped talking then. The room fell silent.

Madame Pomfrey got Ron settled and then set to work on Hermione, Luna, and Neville. She saved Ginny for last, knowing she had to wait for the Skele-gro. Not long after she patched up the others the hospital wing doors flew open. Mrs. Weasley came stalking up through the beds till she reached Madame Pomfrey. She held up a bottle that read Skele-gro and Alison gave an audible cheer.   

“I believe you need this.” Mrs. Weasley said handing it over. Madame Pomfrey smiled wide, “Excuse me Miss Weasley, but I believe Miss Parker has suffered enough. She poured out a measured amount into a glass and handed it to Alison’s good hand. Without even thinking about the bad taste Alison downed the entire thing. Almost immediately she felt it begin its work. She let out a sigh. “So much better!” Mrs. Weasley smiled and kissed Alison lightly on the forehead while Madame Pomfrey turned her attention to Ginny.