CHAPTER 44

"You are smitten." Jeremy comments when i sit shotgun and i roll my eyes at him as i strap my seat belt on.

He reverses the car out of the driveway silently, his eyes fully on the road like the cautious driver he is until we hit the free way.

"I always knew that one day, one of you would fall in love and screw us over. But initially i had my money on Lee." I break into fits of laughter.

Seriously man, Lee?

"Please forgive me," I say when he glares at me. "But that's hilarious and fucking ironic...Lee doesn't have a heart, he is incapable of love." I tell him in between laughter and he just shakes his head.

I had my money on Jer, he is the soft hearted one among us. He forgave mom in the name of love, even after everything she did.

"I know she was a bitch, but she is still our mother," He told us when we buried her. "She deserves your last respect."

"She ceased being our mother the moment she betrayed our dad for money, she didn't love us, Jer." Lee reminded him.

"She is still mine." We just stood there and waited for him, Jer had already forgiven her, he placed a bunch of daisies on her grave and told her to rest in internal peace.

"What peace? She will never know peace for the rest of her eternity." Lee told Jeremy and he started to walk to the car furiously. I had nothing to say to her so i followed Lee.

My elder brother didn't give two shits about our dead mother and neither did i, i went to her burial for formalities.

Honestly i didn't feel the loss and up to date i have never felt sad that she died, if anything, i hate her for dragging dad to the grave with her. She was an insatiable selfish bitch and even though she died  many years ago, my hatred for her is still immense.

She is the reason why dad died, she is the reason why we are in this mess.

"He is a bad boy, i always thought that one day he would meet that one special girl that would make him want to be a good man." Like Lee could ever be redeemed. I mean, he has always been heartless, ever since we were kids. The betrayal from mom and dad's demise only made him worse.

"That's cliché." I say rolling my window all the way up. It's a bit chilly.

"I know. And you know what else is cliché? The impassive mysterious guy falling in love with a mentally broken girl. That's very cliché, but it happened." He is referring to Belle and i.

"Belle is not mentally broken," i am quick to defend her and it's Jeremy's turn to laugh sarcastically.

"Yeah? Didn't she come from the rehab less than a month ago?" He glances at me with a smirk. "Actually it's less than three weeks ago." He corrects.

"She is not mentally ill. She went through shit when she was young..." He cuts me in.

"And that fucked her mind up, she was mental, Lucas. There is no point in denying that, you should appreciate the fact that she has transformed but again we are yet to find that out." I didn't know that Jer was such a sadist.

It doesn't even suit him.

"You of all the people should know better than to condemn her."

"And i am not. I like Belle for you. In another world i would be a big fan of Becas."

"Then give me a chance to show you that the fact that i love her won't ruin anything. We will revenge our dad and get everything back from Richard." I just want him to have some little faith in me.