CHAPTER 19

"I will fucking kill her." Dad mutters furiously under his breath but he is quick to assume a calm posture for our sake.

"Is everything okay, dad?" Lee asks concern lacing his voice. I haven't heard or seen him worry about anything else other than himself in seven years.

Basically the only thing Lee is ever worried about is Lee.

"Everything's peachy." Dad says patting his eldest son's shoulder before forcing a smile at us.

"Did anything happen to mom?" Jerr asks and dad shakes his head.

If mom was a typical modern mother, Jerr would be a very annoying mama's boy. He loves our mother way too much and it is a shame that she'd rather spend time shopping than with her kids.

She doesn't give a flying shit about us but on the other hand my brother is always concerned about her. I know he would choose her over dad without a second thought.

"Shania is okay. Get in the car, we have to go." He says getting to the driver's seat and i walk over to sit shotgun. A minute later we hit the free way.

Something is terribly wrong. To begin with, dad has never referred to mom by her name. Second, he is so pissed, of course he won't let it show but i can see through the facade and his bloodshot eyes are giving him away.

He is over speeding but that's not the only thing  i am concerned about right now. He is deep in thoughts, that means he is not even concentrating on the road.

He is clenching the wheel so tight that his knuckles are beginning to turn white. No matter how much he wants to tell us that everything is okay, i know that something really bad has happened.

"What is it dad?" I ask observing his face for any emotions, there is none. He maintains a straight face and he doesn't even answer my question. I doubt if he has heard me.

"Who the hell is Richard?" Jerr asks and dad swallows audibly clenching his jaw tightly. Like the mention of the name Richard makes him want to punch something or someone really bad.

"What was transferred?" I ask innocently.

"What the fuck is going on?" That's Lee.

"Watch your language, Lee." Dad warns him, i would have laughed if we weren't in such a situation. He said "i will fucking kill her," less than three minutes ago and he is here reminding Lee to watch his language.

"Can you tell us what is going on? We deserve to know." Lee demands impatiently. I catch a glimpse of him through the rear view mirror and he is worried.

Lee is worried. That's a shocker.

"I am not exactly in my best moods right now, your mom has decided to break me apart." He says taking a very sharp corner on the road and the three of us gasps.

"Can you slow down?" Jerr asks in panic and dad takes a long sharp breath.

"We don't have time, Jeremy. Richard lured your mother into transferring all of my money to his account." His voice is slightly raised.

I understand why Dad is overly furious. It doesn't even make sense. Why would mom transfer her husbands money to another man's bank account? Who even does that?

"What do you mean?" Jerr asks with undisguised shock.

"Mom transfered your money to another man's account? Why would she even do that?" Lee asks.

"Who the heck is Richard?" I ask again curiosity taking the better part of me.

"Your mother's ex boyfriend, they used to go to the same college."