CHAPTER 12

“Excuse me, I have to answer this.” He says standing up and I nod getting my phone from my clutch bag to keep myself busy.

I am surprised to find several missed calls from Aunt Veronica and two from Liz, I didn’t even hear my phone ringing. I should have called to let them know that I arrived safely but I have been so occupied. I make to dial aunt’s number and a text from her pops up.

_Are you okay, love? Text me, I am worried._ Aunt

I forgot how it felt to have someone worry about you, I smile as I type a reply.

_Sorry, been busy and yeah I am okay._
I should tell her that I am homeless but I don’t, I don’t want to burden her plus I just met her today and I have to know the type of a person she is first before letting her in. If there is a lesson life has taught me severally in the past twenty years; is not to trust people easily no matter who they claim they are to you.

Just like respect trust should be earned.

I still don’t understand why my mom chose to keep us from her family, I want to believe that there was a very good reason for that but nothing is adding up. She should have told us that she had a twin sister but she chose not to.

Why would anyone cut ties with her identical twin sister completely? I speculate that something must have led her to make such a decision.

Don’t get me wrong i am happy that I met her but you can’t blame me for not trusting her enough. I mean, was it all a mere coincident that she was posted to the very same asylum that I was in? I really don’t believe in coincidence but I am willing to risk it all by giving her a chance in my life.

But in the meantime i will have to figure everything out on my own and I am sure Keith and Nick won’t mind me crashing at their place for a couple of nights before I decide on what to do next.

_What are you doing tomorrow?_ Aunt

She texts back a minute later.

_Nothing, wonna meet up?_

_Sure, will text you my address._ Aunt

_Cool._

_Don’t hesitate to call me if you need anything, okay._ AUNT

_Thanks aunt._

*~*~*

Nick is busy flirting with the blond girl, Keith and Lucas are busy talking about God knows what, and Jake went out to receive a call. So i decide to listen to music, I take the earphones from my clutch and plunge them in.

I don’t even have a single song in my phone but I am lucky the WIFI here is so strong. I make a list of my favorite songs on YouTube before putting the earphones on.

I have never used earphones before and I must admit headphones are way better. Earphones suck and the music is not loud enough. I make a mental note to buy headphones first thing tomorrow morning.

“What is a beautiful lady like you doing here alone?” I look up to see the owner of that irritating voice and I roll my eyes when I see a man almost my dad’s age standing in front of me.

“How may I help you?” I ask with a very boring voice taking one of my earphones out and I groan when he smiles at me suggestively.

Jeez, some men have no shame. 

“The question should be how may i help you?” He says stressing the ‘I’.

“I fail to understand how you may help me.” I say putting the earphone on and I proceed to reduce the volume.