CHAPTER 9

“A glass of wine, please.” I tell the barmaid and Keith roll eyes at me.

“A glass of wine, really? You need something stronger than that.” he tells me and the girl glances at him.

“A shot of vodka for her, make it double.” He tells her and she looks at me probably confused on whose order to take.

“She said a glass of wine.” Nick reminds her and she nods as she walks away.

“How old are you? Sixteen?” Keith asks me immediately the girl is out of hearing and Nick rolls his eyes at him.

“I am not known for making wise decisions when drunk.” I say chuckling when I remember all the crazy things I have ever done when drunk. I don’t know if it is the alcohol that used to turn me on or Randal’s presence.

“What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done when drunk?” Keith asks me and we exchange a glance with Nick before bursting out.

“Making moves on a total stranger.” Nick answers for me and Keith giggles when I punch his brother playfully.

“That’s not even crazy but it is funny, I mean Belle looks so innocent to make moves on someone.” Am I really that innocent?

“I wouldn’t use the word innocent to describe me, pretty ironic.” I tell Keith.

“Don’t let the innocent face and these chubby cheeks fool you.” Nick tells him and I duck when he tries to poke my cheek laughing at his failure.

“Have you two been friends since forever? You two seem pretty close.” Keith asks narrowing his eyes at us playfully and we both burst out laughing.

I am certain that we are attracting people’s attention with our laughter.

“Three years but we already filled each other in with every detail of the past years that the other one missed.” I say chuckling and Keith shakes his head at our madness as the girl comes back with our order.

“A glass of wine for you,” she says placing it right in front of me.

“Thank you.” I say as I start to scroll through my new phone for nothing in particular and I decide to go through my gallery for the umpteenth time today.

I am grinning while going through the selfies that we took today specifically with Aunt Veronica. I can’t help the smile pulling on my lips every time I see her.  She reminds me so much of my mother, they are exactly the same.

The day started quite well, I was freed after being in thralldom for three years, I miraculously met my aunt whom I didn’t even had an idea that she existed and I thought I had a home to go to with people to go to. I didn’t have a hint that the day will end this way. I am happy that I am finally free but I am also very frustrated and worried.

“I can’t believe that mom died and no one bothered to tell me.” Nick says taking a swig from his bottle of vodka and that’s when I remember that his mom died and he didn’t even get a chance to bury her.

I guess going home after three years to find out that your mother died seven months ago is worse than coming back to an empty house. At least in my case there is a high possibility but Nick, he can’t even hope to see his mother ever again.

That’s sad.

I am such an egocentric friend all I have done is whine about my problems like he wasn’t hurting too and now that he has mentioned it I feel guilty. I should have considered his feelings but I was too busy being a selfish bitch to care.