CHAPTER 43

I find Belle sitting on the bed supporting her back on the headboard. She is staring at the locket chain in her hands and my heart goes out to her.

She looks sad and she is lost in deep thoughts.

"You are up?" I ask walking inside and that
snaps her back to reality.

"You snuck out on me." She says turning to face me, holding her chain in her hands tightly.

"I thought you were deep asleep." I force a smile as i sit on the bed next to her.

This is the part when i wish i was comic, i need to cheer her up and i totally have no idea how to.

"I was, until Veronica decided to distrupt my sleep."

"Veronica..." I say absently. I can't quite remember who Veronica is but i have heard that name before.

"The woman i introduced you to yesterday, she was with Liz. My mom's twin." Oooh, i do now.

Her prodigal aunt.

"What did she want?" I ask tossing Nick's clothes on the bed.

I know how it sounds, but seriously you can't blame me for wanting to know everything that's happening in her life.

I am paranoid.

Whoever killed her family might be after her life too.

"The address, she is picking me up." She motions at her travel bag that is placed on the dressing table and i instantly shake my head.

That's a huge prank she is trying to pull.

"You ain't going anywhere with her." I deadpan.

"She is my aunt, Lucas." I can tell she is not in the mood to argue about this with me.

"Aunt or not."

"And it is not your decision to make, i am going." She tells me with a note of finality.

It is taking every ounce of myself control not to yell at her.

"You don't even know her, i mean, you met her last week and we can't trust her, Belle."

Belle of all people should learn not to trust anyone, with everything that has happened in her family i will be damned to let her leave with a total stranger.

"She is my mom's twin sister, she can't hurt me. She's family." If she didn't have the 'we are not arguing about this,' face, i would think the whole 'aunt Veronica' thing is a prank.

She is family, so what?

I believe family stick together, always and forever. So where was aunt Veronica when her twin sister was brutally murdered twenty years ago?

She is family and she should have been the first person to know that Belle was left all alone in this cruel world, right?

She was supposed to take her in. I mean, that's what a family is all about. Being there for each other.

We don't even know who's behind the fire that claimed the life of the three people that Belle has called family for twenty good years. For all we know, Veronicah might be involved.

What i am trying to say is that we can't trust anyone with Belle.

She has a target on her back and we are the only people who can keep her safe.