Overwhelmed

"Oi, Oi, Oi. Eraserhead, you're killing me, man." Keigo groaned out in annoyance, slamming his head down on the desk.

Keigo and I both ignored the ringing phone of the Hawks Agency, too busy with other, more important, things to really think about actual work today.

"Yeah, I know. I wasn't expecting Aizawa to just boot me off the project like that. I mean, I understand where his heart is coming from. But, man, is it really costing us." I sighed out, rubbing my temples stressfully.

Keigo hummed softly in agreement, giving his wings a soft flap of annoyance.

However, his head quickly popped up from the desk a few moments later, good as new. He was pursing his lips in focused thought, no doubt already on the rise of coming up with a new plan.

"Eh. Minor setback, sure. But, nothing we can't work with, Chicky." He smiled reassuringly, lazily propping his chin up in his hand.

I simply shrugged my shoulders in silent acknowledgment, not quite onboard with his statement.

Sure, he would talk a good game, but we haven't thought of anything yet. And if we don't soon, Dabi will char my family to death-

"Yoo-hoo! Did I lose you?" Keigo suddenly chirped out to me, the phrase he used giving me a weird sense of deja vu.

I forced my blank eyes off the floor, looking over to see him already smiling at me softly.

"What? No. You didn't lose me. I'm listening." I muttered dismissively, completely not listening as I was too focused on my own stresses.

Keigo could tell I wasn't fully with him today, but instead, he chose to reluctantly ignore my attitude and press on with brainstorming a plan.

I'm glad he did. There isn't much to say about my internal thoughts.

The main thing that probably caused Keigo to prioritize the mission over my current state of mind, is that he knows there's a time limit to Dabi's request. He knows what's on the line if I don't complete this mission. And he knows why I'm feeling distant this morning. There's nothing to say about it, and I'd rather not waste time on my own stupid feelings, when we could be coming up with something useful-

"Alright, let's start with the basics. Dabi said the heroes are planning a surprise raid attack on the villains, right? Did Eraserhead allude to this at all? Like maybe he accidentally let something slip?" Keigo asked me, grabbing a pen and paper to write down any of my immediate thoughts.

I closed my eyes in thought, ignoring the irritating headache that had formed from this stress.

"Mm......no. I don't think he did." I mumbled, already beating myself up for not having an answer to that question.

Try harder, Ari. Mistakes at this point are lethal.

Keigo's gentle, smooth voice quickly broke through my head, trying to grab my attention again.

"Hey, hey, that's alright. Don't worry about it. Let's just think of another possibility." He stated quietly, already lost in thought about another way to approach this.

I tried forcing my mind to think of a solution with him. I couldn't help but hate the fact that I was still somehow trying to come up with plans that would impossibly work in everyone's favor. A way to please Dabi and the heroes.

But, I know I can't have it both ways.

Keigo has no problems getting his hands dirty with this, and I shouldn't either. Plus, the more I think about pleasing everyone in this situation, the more I think about how pissed off Dabi will be about that.