An Honest Liar

Top pic credit: MintyShrimp

I saw Dabi's next actions comin' a mile away. I could have easily escaped it, but because of my dedication to this mission....for the purpose of trying to keep my cover....I simply let it happen.

Makes me think....just how far am I willing to go with this? What is my breaking point? The limit to what I will do to succeed as a double agent?

I'm not sure. Guess I haven't been tested hard enough, yet.

Maybe, I'm willing to die for this. Looks like I'm about to find out.

I barely flinched as a whirl of blue flames surrounded the space around me, blinding my sight to everything, but the image of Dabi who was directly in front of me.

Hot! It's hot!

I folded my wings closer to my body, trying to prevent them from getting incinerated, by the flashes of blue that were much too close for comfort.

His eyes glowed as bright as his flames, a slow sinister smile forming on his face as he kept my gaze.

"Hawks, Hawks, Hawks." He started off lowly, before grabbing onto my coat and yanking me closer.

I let a nervous chuckle slip from my mouth, holding my hands out to him in innocent surrender, as he brought his flame wrapped hand towards my wings.

Should I defect? Should I finally fight him?

No. Not yet. Hold out just a little longer. See what he wants first.

Stop shaking. Don't be afraid. Everything is okay.

Dabi burned his eyes into me, as he tauntingly brought his flame closer to my wings. Clearly, he was waiting for me to break.

I forced myself to remember my gruesome years of hero commission training.

This is what I was trained to do. Time to put these skills to use.

I forced my muscles to relax, letting out a silent, deep breath to slow my pounding heart. A slow, lazy smile began to form on my face, and that typical half lidded gaze clouded my eyes. Focusing in on Dabi, trying to ignore his sweltering flames, I forced myself to become the man I've been groomed to be my whole life.

Putting away Keigo, I forced myself to become Hawks.

"Well, this is quite a statement you're making here, my friend. Are you trying to impress me? 'Cause it's definitely working!" I laughed, throwing my head back in idiotic glee as my feathers sensed Dabi's flame filled hand getting closer.

Not responding, Dabi extinguished the flame around his hand for a moment, harshly plucking a small feather out from my wing.

Ouch.

He held the feather directly in front of my face, before I watched blue flames aggressively engulf the poor thing to bits.

Dabi and I watched wordlessly as it began burning away, not being able to fight the fire that relentlessly swallowed it.

"It burns." Dabi said smoothly, almost looking proud of himself for burning my single feather to ash.

I let out a small snicker, watching him toss the remaining ash of my feather onto the dirty floor.

"Hm?-Wait, what?! Really, it burns? Well, that's surprising. Who woulda thunk blue fire could burn a feather, am I right?" I said in playful sarcasm, pursing my lips in fake thought.

"You're a liar, bird. You're a liar, and I know it." Dabi stated calmly, completely ignoring my joking attempts.

"Oh yeah? How do ya figure that? I'm dyin' to hear how that mind of yours works, Dabi. Look man, I've already told you. I'm loyal to the league-"