Detrimental Compliments

"Alright, alright!! Let's make some noise for the sweetheart of UA high school, Ari Parker!! Man, oh man, that girl is wits, beauty, and grace, but clearly she'll still punch some villains in the face!! YEOWWW!!" Present Mic howled out over-dramatically, causing me to scoff in embarrassment as I forced my feet to walk out onto the stage.

"Already starting it off with a bang, I see." I muttered out deflatedly, as I saw the ocean of people getting hyped up from Mic's introduction.

Keigo sighed tiredly in agreement from next to me, quickly swiping the dark sunglasses back over his eyes.

He turned to me, about to say something, before remembering Diane was standing directly behind us. Letting out a small groan of annoyance, he wordlessly trailed behind me to head to the stage.

I squinted my eyes, trying to shield myself from the bright, blinding stage lights, as the ear piercing cheers filled my ears.

But...

They weren't cheers for me.

"HAWKS!! OH MY GOD, IT'S HAWKS!!! IT'S HAWKS!!!"

"HAWKS, OVER HERE!!!"

"NOTICE ME, SENPAI!!"

"HAWKS, CHANNEL THREE, HERE!! FLASH US A SMILE!"

"LET ME HAVE YOUR BIRD BABIES!!!"

"DO SOMETHING COOL WITH YOUR WINGS!!"

"HAWKS!! HAWKS!! HAWKS!!"

The screams quickly escalated into pure shrieks that were enough to drive anyone completely mad. The floor began shaking from the loud noise vibrations, and I began sweating stressfully even though the attention wasn't aimed at me.

Keigo's wings twitched anxiously from next to me, as he let out a soft, shaky breath at all the insane, overwhelming shouts of his name.

As much as he pretends for his fans, he doesn't like to be in the public eye. The attention makes him uncomfortable.

He growled quietly in pain when Diane subtly yanked a perfectly good feather out of his wing, before carelessly throwing it on the dirty floor.

"Do better. Now." She seethed out to him through a fake smile that was plastered on her face.

"Bitch..." Keigo muttered under his breath, before obeying.

On cue with her words, Hawks came back out to play....immediately flashing some cocky grins and waves at the crowd.

"Hi! Yep, it's me, everyone!-Heya, dollface!! That's some haircut ya got there!! Hm? Marry you? Eh, no can do, sweet cheeks. I'm all booked up!-oh, and hi to you, too! And you!! And definitely you! Yeah. Uh-huh-woah, no flashing, please. Let's all keep our clothes on, shall we!-and I love you, too!" Hawks exclaimed in the mechanical hero tone he's become so amazing at.

Seriously, I could tell he wasn't even thinking about the words he was saying anymore. To everyone else, he sounded so enthusiastic....so cocky, yet charming and personable.

But to me, he sounded so forced. So rehearsed. So empty. I could already tell his mind was somewhere else, as he randomly pointed to some of his fans, and shot them a cool, sexy smirk.

He stood shoulder to shoulder with me, causing his wing to brush up against my back. But, judging by the occasional, subtle feather caresses I felt across my body, I could tell him brushing his wings up against me wasn't on accident-

Diane quickly pushed her way between Keigo and I, standing in the middle of both of us.

Keigo and I reluctantly scooted over to give her room. Not much we could do with thousands of eyes watching us.