Episode 48 Your Sanem: Part 1

Can could not understand what was happening to him. They told him he was in a car accident and although he suffered no permanent physical damage, he now had Amnesia. His memory of the past two years was a complete blur, like a fading dream and nothing to prove if it was real. Even with his family by his side, he felt lost, confused, alone...and with no hope. Where there should be memories, there was an aching void. And most of all, a tremendous sense of guilt for not remembering Sanem, no matter how much he tried...the one person whose connection meant the most.

Although Can lost his memories of Sanem as a result of the head injuries caused by the accident, there was a lot more going on in his mind than we should assume. Granted, his amnesia was brought upon by the accident. However, specifically blocking out Sanem from his consciousness may have been caused by something less obvious.

Can may very well have been suffering from a condition called dissociative amnesia.
This condition occurs when a person blocks out specific traumatic events or even the events of one's entire life, often following trauma or severe stress. A person with dissociative amnesia may not remember certain friends, family members, or coworkers. It is usually triggered by an event that the person's mind is unable to cope with properly.

Just before the accident, Can may have been so stressed about possibly being separated again from Sanem, who was becoming increasingly anxious about going away with him, that after the accident he blocked her from his memory as a way of protecting himself psychologically from dealing with this stress. In other words, perhaps Can lost all memories of her because he couldn't deal with the emotional stress and the pain of possibly losing her again.  And so, Sanem is the root cause of his own amnesia and not just the accident. And for this reason he's not able to remember anything since the night they met...the night of the 40th anniversary of Fikri Harika...that one incredible night when something magical happened to him...when he kissed a princess in the dark that triggered a traumatic change in him... He even described it as "the night that changed his life, in the fog while he was sailing like a ship without sails and a rudder".  And then, learning it was Sanem the very next night was both the best and the worst thing that ever happened to him.  That is, he discovered the identity of his soulmate but realized he could never have her which ultimately led to the roller-coaster ride of this incredibly romantic Love story that would essentially consume all of his energy, all of his strength, and all of his being for the next two years of his life. This was the traumatic event that happened to him. He can't remember Sanem because psychologically he would rather never have known her than to have had her and then lose her all over again...the pain was just far too great. This is something that he may have underestimated and so never really dealt with. He would therefore need to sort out these emotions psychologically in his mind before he can regain any memory of his Sanem.

But in the meantime, while he searches through his subconscious for those memories, he can rediscover his love of Sanem in an entirely new way, without the lies, betrayal and jealousy that made the journey to her so difficult the first time round. So in a way, it's a fresh start for them and because we know how powerful their love and chemistry is for one other, we can be sure that they will soon find their way back into each other's hearts.

There's no doubt about it.

Canem Forever ❤️❤️