Episode 39: Be with me

"𝑭𝒂𝒊𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒆𝒔 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒖𝒔 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒉 𝒖𝒔 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒘𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒚 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒏 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒔... 𝑾𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒂𝒎 𝑰 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒊𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒆? 𝑨𝒎 𝑰 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒍𝒆𝒑𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓 100 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔, 𝒂𝒘𝒂𝒌𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒃𝒚 𝒂 𝒌𝒊𝒔𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝑨𝒍𝒃𝒂𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔𝒔? 𝑶𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒑𝒊𝒅 𝒈𝒊𝒓𝒍 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒇𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒊𝒏 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑬𝒗𝒊𝒍 𝑲𝒊𝒏𝒈? 𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑬𝒗𝒊𝒍 𝑲𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒅𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒔𝒌 𝒐𝒇 𝒂 𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒃𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒌𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒆? 𝑾𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒉𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒆?"

Sanem wrote this after finding herself falling in love with Can and it highlights just how naive and confused she was about love at the time. Although she has grown in a lot of ways, she is sadly still that same naive girl that she wrote about back then who trusts in the wrong people and is afraid to follow her heart.

As our lovebirds come closer and closer to marriage, they are seeing each other much more clearly which brings all their weaknesses and insecurities to the forefront. Sadly, Can's insecurities about losing Sanem make him do things that only upset Sanem more. And Sanem's naivety allows Yigit to manipulate her and destroy her confidence in her love for Can which in the end tragically pushes him away. This would prove that their fairy-tale love could not withstand the real-life challenges of their relationship on its own and it would take much more strength in character that both Can and Sanem have yet to achieve.

When Can had revealed himself to Sanem as her Albatross that one magical night he made her dream come true: For Can and her Albatross to be one and the same person. But he wasn't finished in making all her dreams come true though. He loved her so much. She was the best thing that ever happened to him and he wanted to make all her dreams a reality for her...Dreams about writing her own novel and going to the Galapagos which he promised to take her on numerous occasions. He believed in her as a writer and had given her the feather pen to encourage her to write even at a time he thought he had no chance with her and would never see her again. He felt that having her work at the agency was the best way for her to express herself, giving her opportunities to write and giving her a training ground for her to become the writer she dreamed to be. This is why he kept wanting her to stay at the agency so he could continue to provide this for her while at the same time being a part of his life. He had found a diamond in the rough and he wanted to be the one to mould her, mentor her, be a part of her growth and to showcase her. But with everything that happened over the perfume issue, and now with Yigit in the picture, Sanem took his intentions differently.  Sanem felt Can did not take her goals seriously. She felt he belittled her and treated her almost like a child who he could control or a piece of property that he owned. And this took away her pride. She wanted to write and publish her book based on her own merits to prove her self-worth, hard work and dedication and she wanted to do it on her own, without Can's help. But sadly Sanem wasn't communicating this very well to him and as a result Can wasn't listening very well. So when Can uses his connections and presented her with an opportunity with his publisher/friend, seeing how important it was for her, she felt he was trying to control her again even though he only did it to please her in the first place.

And then there was Sanem's diary...
Giving the diary to Can to read was the most vulnerable thing Sanem had ever done (next to writing the confession letter to Can which he had torn up). She was finally revealing the truth...details of her deception that she had kept from him...details that he never really wanted to know. What upset her the most was the thought that Can hadn't even read it, that he could have even burned it. Her diary was their love story, the real story with no illusions, just the truth. And she thought Can didn't have what it took to face the truth about her, all the lies, all the deceit and betrayal because he would always avoid talking about it. And this is where we finally get to realize Yigit's purpose in this story...He is not just another supporting character for Sanem...Yigit represents a role far more important. Yigit...is Can Divit's Alter Ego. 

When Yigit was first introduced to us we had a sneaking suspicion who he really was when we saw all the similarities he had with Can in his appearance, his nuances and gestures towards Sanem. But we really come to this realization the moment he was telling Sanem the fantastic news about having her book published in America. She was giddy with excitement and thrilled beyond words...She couldn't sit still...her hands and feet were trembling...she was speaking a mile a minute! Her reaction was very similar to another one of her reactions we all witnessed and loved...yes, when Can revealed to her that he was her Albatross. But now, it was Yigit making her dream of publishing her book come true.

Yigit first comes into the picture just when Can decided to "check out" from Sanem's life after he couldn't accept that she had given away their "magic"—her perfume—to Fabri. Sanem needed to rebuild confidence in herself after Can gave up on her. And so, for the second time, (Fabri being the first) she let another man into her life at her most lowest and vulnerable point who took advantage of her weakness and tempted her with promises of fulfilling her dreams. Timed perfectly he shows up just as she stepped out of the agency when she had just resigned from the company (aka Can's life). He became Can's replacement in almost every aspect starting from the way they met... which wasn't any different to how Can did at the beginning...by crashing into her...literally, and with a car, no less! He accompanied her to the hospital providing her with much needed compassion that Can should have provided. And then, not only does he become her new boss and give her a job in his publishing company that inspires her to write, he gives her an opportunity to publish her book and make her dream come true. He was truly taking over Can's wish to be the one to do this. While, according to Sanem, Can couldn't even read her book because he didn't have enough COURAGE to face all of the lies and deceit she had done to him as this may have changed the way he felt about her.  And ironically what was one of the first things Yigit did when he met Sanem? He read parts of her diary...the very thing we wanted Can to have done a long time ago. Eventually bit by bit Yigit was chipping away at Can's pride leaving him self-conscious and vulnerable around Sanem, while of course making himself appear more confident in front of her. What's interesting to note is that Yigit's name in Turkish even means "courage" which perhaps signifies what Can is lacking, proving even further that he in fact is Can's alter ego.

Yigit's true face is finally completely unveiled to us when he reads the excerpt from Sanem's diary affirming that Can is her one true love and that she will never love another man. Enraged and overcome with complete jealousy, he then throws the book into the fire making it look like Can did it. In taking advantage of Can's weaknesses and insecurities he is able to manipulate the situation so that Sanem doubts Can's integrity. Can comes face to face with Yigit, (or Courage personified) and, unable to control his anger, uses violence to try and overpower him which highlights his aggressive streak and further instills fear and uncertainty in Sanem making her doubt her love for him even more. This makes Sanem even more certain that Can doesn't have the courage she needs him to have to face the consequences for the sake of their love which ultimately drives him away. And in leaving, he's doing the very thing Sanem always feared he would do, and what Can hated his mother for doing to him all those years ago...abandoning her, only to demonstrate that it was too much for him to handle it all and that he didn't have enough inner strength and courage to stay and fight for this epic love.

The only glimmer of hope we have is that we know that Can is an Albatross...who flies around the world for long periods of time, but will choose and keep only one wife and mate for life. He will miss her and eventually will not be able to stay away from her for too long. And when he is ready to face Sanem, he will return to her in hopes that she will take him back...and we will all be waiting until he does with baited breath...

Canem Forever ❤️❤️